So Tower Records files for Chapter 11 - ha ha

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Good. Biggest rip-off merchants on the high street. I actually went to my local Tower Records store today, figuring that they might be having a few closing down sales you know? Ooooh no. They basically told me that they're going to bleed the customer dry right until the physical locations start shutting down.

CD's average between $15-$20, and almost all DVD's cost $30 (!). That's at least $10 more than Best Buy for DVD's.

I have to assume that even Joe Blow has discovered the Internet and is buying on-line nowaday. I've become such a cheap bastard that I always check half.com before anywhere else now. I'm happy to own CD's that are "like new", not necessarily "brand new", and pay a fraction of the price.

Yep, www.half.com is great. They don't have everything I want, but I was surprised that I can buy relatively hard-to-find items for $4 like-new.

I checked the Tower Records website looking for sales. 30 seconds later, I left the website.

Another great item to buy on half.com is DVD's. I bought "May" (horror flick) for $4.99, and it was BRAND NEW. Tower Records were selling it at $29.95, and even Best Buy were selling it for $20.

Most of the decent sellers on half.com will also upgrade your shipping to first class at no extra cost. And of course, all the positive feedback you get just adds to your eBay profile.

I'd rather overpay at Tower Records than spend a single penny at Best Buy. Fuck Best Buy. Fuck them up their stupid asses. :)

Tower Records is pretty redikuluss :loco: though, if I'm going to browse an overpriced big music store, I'll go to Virgin instead. They at least have decent sales from time to time.

Their customer service is equivalent to that of a dead chimp. I used to shop there all the time, but I finally had enough of their incompetence. I go to Circuit City now instead, pay the same price, and get hassle free service. :)

I really don't buy anything from either store. Circuit City had lower CD prices I thought, though.

I used to work at Best Buy back in the day. Didn't like it too much to be honest, but the discount was cool.

I owe my first born to Best Buy and still manage to show up and spend money there about once a week. Circuit City is the worst! I hate salesmen, I hate being bothered at stores. I can wander around Best Buy for hours and I don't have to talk to anyone who works there in order to buy most stuff. That's the way I like it.

That's one of the reasons I hate Circuit City. Since they work off commission, every damn one of them will walk up to you and ask if they can help you. Do I look like I need help browsing through the CDs?

My local Best Buy is ok, although returning items is a pain in the ass. They won't accept returns for open items.

Circuit City and Best Buy are around the same price for each item, BUT Circuit City has wicked deals from time to time. Last time I bought a cellphone, I went to Circuit City because they were handing out free Sharp DVD players with every Sprint plan.

And both Circuit City & Best Buy have cheaper CD's than Tower Records.

Best Buy for music and videos is fine, but they fucked up enough with their other departments to make me hate the store as a whole. :)

What about The Wherehouse? I'm not sure how widespread they are, but that's the one store everyone avoids out here. They've always charged nearly $20 per CD, but for whatever reason they're still in business. I think anyhow. Yep, they are. Still overcharging, according to their website. :rolleyes:

People do pay those wild prices through ignorance. I used to buy from CDuniverse.com, and for a laugh, I looked up my previous history. Needless to say, it was shocking. I used to spend $15-$18 for CD's - even online. This is of course before I knew about The End and Red Stream.

Best Buy is my favorite store in the world, for pretty much everything. If you at all enjoy the world of tech gadgets, it rules. Period. End of story. Circuit City's selection pales in comparison, in every department except maybe TVs, but even then...

And the worst part about Tower filing chap. 11 is that those fuckers put good local chains like New Jersey's Compact Disc World out of business just recently, and now it was all for naught. Fuckers. Good magazine selection though.

Oh yeah, and FYI, even though most of you hate them...Century Media's online store stocks more than The End, at roughly the same price, sometimes even cheaper. Spend more than $80 and it's free shipping too.

markgugs said:
Good magazine selection though.
So true.

That reminds me, I was reading a couple of metal mags in TR today (never seen or heard of either of them, but both low-key and completely off the wall), and both had given "album of the month" awards to LEVIATHAN - The Tenth Sub Level of Suicide. Anyone heard of this band? Supposedly sound like Xasthur / Mutillation.

*still sulking over Agalloch cancelling*

Best Buy's selection, at least as far as music, leaves much to be desired, but their prices are preferable to those of ripoff artists like Tower and Virgin (at least the latter makes up for it with higher availability of metal). But if you're not buying online, you're probably wasting your money...

ProgMetalFan said:
How is that?
Well, Rue Morgue magazine gave it the "Best Horror Feature of 2003" award which is what piqued my interest. It's very dark, and looks into the loneliness of an outcast, an eccentric girl with no friends other than a doll. The darkness and solitude of it all reminded me a little of Willard, another underrated horror flick by the way.

I'd say it's a good rental, but at $5, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to buy it. The lead actress by the way is fantastic.