so, what did we learn this election?

-Grandparents hate liberals out of hand, and automatically assume that Republican candidate is perfect

Or maybe I'm making another crass generalization based upon my own experiences....hmmmmmm

Actually, I think most old, white, southern people grew up hating the Republican party for at least the first half of their lives. The Democrats were the party of the South for roughly 100 years following the sour memories of the Republican-driven Reconstruction era. It wasn't until the Democratic party began changing on a national level toward the middle of the 20th century that you began to see Southerners voting Republican in national elections, though Democrats continuted to dominate at the state level through the 60's. Then you saw splits between the "new" Democrats and what came to be known as the Southern Democrats, especially in the '48 presidential race with Strom's "Dixiecrats," and his eventual switch to the Republican side in the early 60's. My grandfather was a strong supporter of Harry Byrd throughout his career, and though he died when I was only 4, I imagine he held some residual distrust of Republicans at the state level till the very end.

In other words, it's pretty much guaranteed that they'll vote for a Republican presidential candidate, but I imagine that for many of them there's still an odd feeling about it because the past 40-50 years represent such a shift in regional voting trends that enjoyed such a long life and became fundamental to an entire cultural group.