So what's everyone's opinion of Mork Gryning and Bal Sagoth?

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
I only ask because I am expecting the Mork Gryning debut, Tusen...something, from a trade, and have read numerous reviews praising it. ALso, lots of reviews praise their later albums, including NAD's review of their recent offering, which as I understand it, is their most progressive work.

Bal, Sagoth, I simply remember enjoying what I heard of their debut, which is supposedly their darkest and most death metal-ish. I enjoyed what I heard from Battle Magic as well. And plus, I'm in the mood for some over-the-top bombast.

Whatcha think, duders?

Yeah I really like Pieces of Primal Expressionism. Maelstrom Chaos was similar but less progressive. I dug it, but only listened to it once so I sold it.

Couldn't get into Bal-sagoth, the only album I heard was The Power Cosmic and it was cheese beyond cheese so I ditched it.

Well, depending on what I think of MG's debut, I'll either get the rest of their stuff or won't. It's suppose to be pretty good, and similar to Storm of the Light's Bane.

Yeah, BS is cheese, but I need some tasty velveeta right now.

I haven't listened to Battle Magic for a good two years...I think it was a bit too weird for me :erk:

"Starfire Burning Upon The Ice-Veiled Throne OF Ultima Thule" (i didnt check, but i think this is the right title), is the best Bal Sagoth album (and maybe the only one i can take seriously). It is really GOOD and epic, the albums after it are just funny.

are you talking about those freakin' book-sized talking sections he does during the songs?

On the debut, he uses a well balanced mixture of death growls and shrieks, at least from what I heard.

No, his extreme vocals -- total shit. I haven't heard their studio stuff so I don't know what trickery they use, and he might just have had an off day or something but he was REALLY fucking poor.

i heard the power cosmic i think and it was like four different kinds of cheese stacked on top of one another with easy-cheese sprayed on top

reminds me of the time my friend took a stack of american cheese slices and a can of whipped cream and made american cheese and whipped cream tacos :yuk:

IOfTheStorm said:
"Starfire Burning Upon The Ice-Veiled Throne OF Ultima Thule" (i didnt check, but i think this is the right title), is the best Bal Sagoth album (and maybe the only one i can take seriously). It is really GOOD and epic, the albums after it are just funny.

My opinion exactly. :wave:
"Starfire..." is a really one-off winner with mammoth orchestrations and killer songs.
Well, "Battle Magic" was ok, but it lacks some of the magic... and some of the battle. It's like a warrior's rest, trying too hard to capitalize on "Starfire..."'s grandeur while trying meekly to achieve a different atmosphere.
"The Power Cosmic" = plain rubbish
"Atlantis Ascendant" is pretty decent as well but it just didn't work anymore for me at the time...

I like all by Mörk Gryning even if their latest one tips a little too much to the "clinical new BM" sound type. They're one of those bands with a huge potential, that might have pulled it off real big, but somehow haven't...

bal-sagoth - I've really only listened to Battle Magic and Atlantis Ascendant.. never got into Battle Magic, but Atlantis Ascendant is just freakin' awesome.... incredibly cheesy, oh yes, incredibly mighty, OH YES

This Mork Gryning debut didn't do too much for me. Sounds like a more black metal, less crap Dimmu Borgir.

Nothing really grabbed my attention.

I didn't like the Mork Gryning debut too much.

But Da Sagoth is great. The first three are superb, but the last two are so-so

Couldn't get into Bal-sagoth, the only album I heard was The Power Cosmic and it was cheese beyond cheese so I ditched it.
I listened to this album for the first time in many years tonight, and fucking loved the shit out of it. Guess I should pick it up again, or maybe try something else of theirs. I remember really wanting to like them, because I thought the concept was neat, and that album cover rocked (well, I thought this back in 1999 anyhow), but I always hated the album... until tonight.

I love Bal-Sagoth, at least their first three albums.

:kickass:

Last edited by a moderator: