So what's your project turnaround?

Jordon

Sep 14, 2008
Chicago
Let's say for a 5-7 song EP, decent-to-good band, hard rock or metal, what sort of turnaround do you get out of a project?

I'm looking at just under 2 months on average, but that's because of scheduling on the band's part, only being able to work a couple days a week.

This is something I've been curious about for a while, because at times, I'm worried the client will think I'm dragging ass, when I'm usually putting in 10-12 hour days a few days a week with them, then editing at home and whatnot.

In an ideal scenario:

Tracking: 1 day setup, 3 days per song = 16-22 days
Mixing: 7-10 days
Mastering: 1 day
Total: 24-33 days

In reality (usually):
Tracking: 1 day setup, 1 day per song = 6-8 days
Mixing: 5-7 days
Mastering: 1 day
Total: 12-16 days

Then add all the extra days when the band is going through test mixes, coming up with feedback etc. They can take surprisingly long.

1h for setup,1h per every song on 1-2-3-go, mixing 1h per every song,mastering 1h all.
Ends up as ~20h for everything. Upload to myspace.
Another shitty release is born :D

Joking

Hmm. Well we did 8 songs of drums in three days, including setup. 8 songs of bass in three days, 8 songs of guitarist 1 in three days, and 8 songs of guitarist 2 in four days. Vocals and mixing is occurring now.

But there were weeks and weeks in between all of this, since we all have day jobs. We started the drums in April.

Yeah depends on the schedule. I've done 10 song full lengths in 18 or so days over a two month period, but I'm also working on a 5-song ep that's been going since January (including pre-production. Started drums in March). Taking forever just because of work schedules. It's been 14 days total, but with one here and one there as time permits.

As a general rule, I tell bands that you need to plan for about 2 days per song, at least, to do it right. So for a 5 song ep, 10 or 12 days at the minimum. Unless they're amazing. And they usually aren't.

Also depends on the genre a bit. If it's not metal, and I don't have to spend 3 days editing and replacing drums, it can go quicker. It's especially nice when the band can all play together and you can get drums, bass and guitar all down live at the same time. Example: I assisted on a session at our studio with Jackson Brown's live band. They cut 12 songs in 2 days, all live, and they fucking nailed it. Helps when you have amazing musicians!

Least time I did an E.P was just under 2 weeks from setting up drums to handing out a finished master.

Usually takes alot longer, bands seem to break up the recording over a good bit of time since they've got work, college, gigs and their social lives to take up most of their time. I've found bands can take forever getting back to you with revisions. Couple of times I've considered a project finished and then weeks later I get a mail asking for louder bass, kick or something.

I assisted on a session at our studio with Jackson Brown's live band. They cut 12 songs in 2 days, all live, and they fucking nailed it. Helps when you have amazing musicians!

It's amazing when you get sessions like that. I had a wedding band in once who did 30 something songs in a day, setup on the same day aswell. Drums, guitar, bass, keys and 5 vocals all done live, just about every song was done first take too.

I've done three 5 song EPs in the past month or so. Band books 7 days, i track for 6 days, spend the last day mixing, and the band leaves on day 7 with mix 1. They send me a list of revisions, and i send them the final mix in under a week from the last day of tracking. It usually takes less than 2 hours to complete revisions. I've never had a band wait more than two weeks for their final mixes on any sized project unless they fail to get me a list of revisions before then, or unless they owe me money.

I've done three 5 song EPs in the past month or so. Band books 7 days, i track for 6 days, spend the last day mixing, and the band leaves on day 7 with mix 1. They send me a list of revisions, and i send them the final mix in under a week from the last day of tracking. It usually takes less than 2 hours to complete revisions. I've never had a band wait more than two weeks for their final mixes on any sized project unless they fail to get me a list of revisions before then, or unless they owe me money.

Dude, we've been spinning the Crimson Armada disc for the past couple weeks at the studio. The studio owner is obsessed with the band and the production. Didn't realize you did that till about 5 minutes ago! Hell yea man :headbang::kickass: