need reamping help *urgent*

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
hey guys,

here's the situation: i'm supposed to finish a 4-track EP by monday (absolute deadline, required by the pressing plant for a number of reasons). everythings tracked and ready to go.
unfortunately, we're way behind our schedule as the tracking took much longer than expected (also for a number of reasons). thus the whole thing is interfering with another project (actually, two). as it is i'm currently tracking guitars during the day, and editing drums for another project afterwards....putting in 16 hour days pretty much every day.

now, here's the problem: i can't get a decent guitarsound for that project to SAVE MY LIFE. i did two reamps, one 5150 one engl fireball 100, and both just didn't cut it. there's something weird going on in the higher midrange that just messes up the whole mix and i can't eq it out. frankly, i don't get it, because the signal chain is the same as always (guitar -> countryman 85 -> ff400 -> x-amp -> amps) and that exact chain always sounds great. i can only assume that it's the guitar player - he sort of sucked. played way over his ability and didn't have any real good tone coming out of his hands. guitar used was an ltd viper 500 with EMG 81 btw.
due to abovementioned schedule issues i just can't manage to get another set of reamps done in time. i could cut down on the drum editing but i can't reamp guitars at night.

so, my question is:
is anyone willing to help me out and reamp the guitars for this project????
unfortunately, i can't pay much, but i can swing a couple of bucks if desired.
specifically, we're talking 4 songs, total running time 15 minutes, DOUBLE TRACKED, rhythms only. so, basically 30 minutes of pure reamping time.
deadline for the master is monday 9 pm (GMT), and i think i can make it if i get some reamps until sunday evening.
one thing though: no ampsims please. the EP already has programmed drums, and i want to get as much natural sounding stuff in there as possible.

i'm definitely uncomfortable with asking for basically free or low cost reamps, but then again many people on here tend to ask for some guitar DIs to test out their new amps and whatnot, and it's not exactly a big project so it shouldn't be too much effort.

so, in case anyone is interested in helping me out, just shoot me pm. i will supply you with a pre-mixed backing track (drums/bass/vocals) and the guitar DIs.

once again, i'm not trying to rip off anybody, but i figured if someone has a lot of time and would like to get some reamping practice it won't hurt to ask.

thanks in advance

EDIT: style is sort of brutal-death-ish with some t(h)rashy elements. tuned to D standard!

edit 2: just noticed that i forgot to mute the melody guitars in the backing track of the second song. that's only a 20 second-ish part, totally unmixed and the tone isn't anywhere near final. just disregard that.
also, you will have to shift the backing track 2 bars back to match the guitars, export fail on my side :( shouldn't be a problem, it's quite obvious how they are supposed to line up.
sorry for that guys, but this kinda stuff happens if you're in a hurry :(

I'm willing to help out. We'll have to see if you'd like what I come up with. You can check my tone in the guitar competition thread (it won me 3rd place :) ) or some of the stuff I've done: http://www.myspace.com/soundlurkerstudio

Upload the DIs and a backing track and I'll give it a go.

Edit: forgot to mention I'd use my custom Garland amp (think something between an slo and a dual recto)

It takes half an hour on this forum to get 3 offers, hell yeah :kickass:

BTW, are you shooting for something specific or should we go for what fits the mix in our opinion?

Just about to download. It's late here now, but I'll get a blast at re-amping it tomorrow for sure :)

bro! i can do it sunday morning no problem. would that be too late??

i promise you'll get the most brutal tone.

check out our gear list to see what's up. lot's of different sounding heads, 7 diff TS boosts, 57's, 421, Royer R-121, i5, etc.

PM me either the tracks or preferably an mp3 of a rough mix so I can decide for sure if I can add anything to the project or not.

Cheers!
Charles J
(and i'll do it for whatever you feel is fair. no strings attached).

WoW dude this guys technique is ROUGH .... wow.

you are totally right cant find a tone I am 100% happy with.

Im going to re-amp this with 3 mics and 3 heads and you can choose which one you like best. Its definitely his technique cause my Killer 5150 settings and Kranks settings just sound like ass with his playing :p

Im half tempted to replay everything ....lol

thanks for the mindblowing amount of replies! unbelievable :) :) :)

well, regarding amp-choice etc.....just go for whatever you feel suits the project/backing track most. it really doesn't have to be super complicated with many different mics and amps and whatever, anything that doesn't make the guitar player sound like the turd he is will be great lol.

thanks a lot!