My itinerary so far for my little 'scandinavian sojourn':

(1) CMI @ WGT, (30/05/04) Leipzig, WERK II [Mid-East Germany, SSE of Berlin]

(2) Annual Swedish Metal Fest (10-12/06/04) South Central Sweden
-----OPETH-----
http://www.swedenrock.com/frameset_eng.cfm
**Would need to leave on the 8th or 9th**
Tickets: Three Day=243.096AUD, 1 Day=108.111AUD

(3) Tuska (16-18/07/04) HELSINKI
Tickets: Approx 50 EUROS/Day (81AUD/Day, 243 For 3 Days)

(4) Wacken Open Air (05-07/08/04) North Germany, Outside of Hamburg.
Tickets: 68 EUROS For 3 Days ($110AUD)

(5) SUMMER DARKNESS 04 (13-15/8/04) UTRECHT - Central Netherlands Just S-E of Amsterdam
**Would return on the 18th?**

WWW.SUMMERDARKNESS.NL

Oh yes, and in case you hadn't guessed it, I'm rapidly running out of money the way these plans are working out. :erk: So is anyone else hitting any of these festivals over summer? Let me me know as I'd sure as like the company (and the shared acommodation, this shit is expensive :( ). Even if you've got tips on getting from/to the venues or you've been before and think one of them sucks, let me know (please).

Ta,

Spike

i'll be in tuska, as stated elsewhere. been to wacken last year: can't say i'm eager to repeat the experience as it was extremely fatiguating, but well worth the effort if you've never been there before.

you'll have plenty of company, at least in tuska, and though i still have no clue about the accomodations (chances are i'll be up all the time anyway...) i can promise all the help i can give you. :)

Thanks buddy, any help would be greatly appreciated. ;) Mainly I just wanna get to know a few more folk before I arrive at the various places. I'm not TOO enthused by the prospect of heading somewhere like the Netherlands where I don't know anyone and will most likely stay on my own, and won't know anyone going to the gigs with me. Sure I'm likely to make some friends in the process, but as far as security goes...... it's always good to know you have someone to 'back you up' before you approach any given situation.

I guess we shall see.

just small hint: TuskaTickets will cost around 60 E for three days (last years price). You can buy tickets for each day, too, for lower price, but they are sold out also fast, depending on line up.

but thanks for the link to Summer Darkness, I didn´t know that one and it looks interesting :) Also it is not_that_far from my place

How many bands do recognise from it?

Current LineUp:

THREE DAY CYBERGOTHIC LIFESTYLE MEETING
* CONFIRMED BANDS AS OF JANUARY 2004:
- FEINDFLUG [GERMANY] [ELECTRO/INDUSTRIEEL]
[VERY XCL. ONLY DUTCH CONCERT 2004!]
- PAL [GERMANY] [INDUSTRIEEL]
- ROSA CRUX [FRANCE] [EXPERIMENTAL MEDIAEVAL
GOTHIC/FOLK/RITUAL] [VERY XCL. ONLY DUTCH CONCERT 2004!]
- PZYCHOBITCH [GERMANY] [EXPERIMANTAL INDUSTRIEEL]
- RAISON D'ETRE [SWEDEN] [DARK INDUSTRIEEL/AMBIENT]
- COPH NIA [SWEDEN] [DARK INDUSTRIEEL/RITUAL]
- SANCTUM [SWEDEN] [EXPERIMENTAL
INDUSTRIEEL/RITUAL] [VERY XCL. ONLY DUTCH CONCERT 2004!]
- VISIONS OF ATLANTIS [AUSTRIA] [GOTHICMETAL]
- PSYCLON NINE [USA] [DARK HARSH ELECTRO]
- ASLAN FACTION [GREAT BRITAIN] [DARK ELECTRO]
[XCL. DUTCH CONCERT 2004]
- KILLING OPHELIA [GREAT BRITAIN] [DARK FEMALE ELECTRO]
- HIOCTAN [GERMANY] [DARK ELECTRO]
- LAMIA [ARGENTINIA] [FETISCH ELECTRO]
- KUTNA HORA [SPAIN] [NEO-FOLK]
- NOVALIS [GERMANY] [NEO-FOLK]
- PREDELLA AVANT [HOLLAND] [BOMBASTIC DARK-FOLK]

Particularily keen on seeing Sanctum, who will be relasing there first new album in FIVE YEARS just before the gig, and this will be one of their few performances this year. Raison And Coph Nia should be making an appearance too, in fact a large portion of the line up is from the CMI label (Cold Meat Industries for those of you not in the know), just like the CMI @ WGT festival. :D

P.S. Oh not you too! Let me go to bed! :yell:

There's no way I'm missing tuska anyway, since I'll be in the counrty most of the time... I just need to know when to buy tickets. Oh, and relatively speaking, tuska tickets were nearly HALF THE PRICE of some of the other festivals when looking at them (with the exception of Wacken of course, which appears to be amazingly cheap, again relatively speaking).

i know/have heard:

feindflug, p.a.l., pzychobitch, raison d'etre, aslan faction. this last one is also the only band i really like of the bunch.
it's weird because it seems that it's more of an electronic/darkwave oriented festival than anything really industrial. aslan faction are quite heavy (à la :wumpscut: ), and p.a.l. and feindflug are too (à la boring as fuck imo). the rest though are very trance- or gothic-like bands with a couple of dancefloor songs here and there, and many atmospheric synth-intense stuff. i'd probably like it, but i don't really know about you guys... :err:

rahvin: They will go on sale in may. Keep checking the official page www.tuska-festival.fi and there is most of it explained in english. In the first month, I don´t think it´s a hurry. The sales will also depend on the line-up, at least those for single days. Usually it starts getting sold out just one or two weeks before the actual happening.

Of course there are more bands on the way to SummerDarkness' roster, it's early days yet. Don't be surpised if you more industrial acts like IRM, BDN, Deustch Nepal and MZ412 on the bill. And don't forget that neo-folk bands like Sanctum still have there moments, as to bands like Coph Nia. As for my preferences, as much as I like industrial, I actually tend to lean more towards darkwave/ambient and avant garde music. :)

for the wannabe finland tourists: check here
cheapest options are summer hotels and hostels, but you should make your reservation well in advance as july is peak tourism month and rooms sell out fast

rahvin said:
the rest though are very trance- or gothic-like bands with a couple of dancefloor songs here and there, and many atmospheric synth-intense stuff. i'd probably like it, but i don't really know about you guys... :err:

some day I will ask you for a full introduction to that scene. consider yourself warned. :)

Spike said:
There's no way I'm missing tuska anyway, since I'll be in the counrty most of the time... I just need to know when to buy tickets. Oh, and relatively speaking, tuska tickets were nearly HALF THE PRICE of some of the other festivals when looking at them (with the exception of Wacken of course, which appears to be amazingly cheap, again relatively speaking).
buy it when you get here. or i'll buy it for you, and give it to you when you get here.

ouagadougou said:
buy it when you get here. or i'll buy it for you, and give it to you when you get here.
You're such a nice person.

*warms heart*