Sodom announces "Epitome of Torture

EVeryone hates on 90s Sodom for some reason. After the last three, those are my favourite albums :lol: GWYD and Masquerade in Blood are amazing. Lyrics are SUPPOSED to be daft, that's their sense of humour. Nobody really seems to get that, but whatever floats yer goat :)

Alas, here's the review... send your death threats to my Facebook page as you see fit. http://www.brutalism.com/content/sodom-epitome-of-torture

EVeryone hates on 90s Sodom for some reason. After the last three, those are my favourite albums :lol: GWYD and Masquerade in Blood are amazing. Lyrics are SUPPOSED to be daft, that's their sense of humour. Nobody really seems to get that, but whatever floats yer goat :)

Alas, here's the review... send your death threats to my Facebook page as you see fit. http://www.brutalism.com/content/sodom-epitome-of-torture

90's Sodom was the fucking shit, probably their heaviest period.

Okay so Sodom is my favorite thrash metal band, and I can say i'm severely disappointed by this. Their last records were all brutal thrash with riffs that were still catchy and memorable, this album is nothing like that, with production worse than I would ever expect.

Every time a band has done good for so long, eventually they just start fucking sucking out of nowhere. The big 4 is a great example of that. i'm surpised Overkill, Testament, Exodus, etc are all still kicking ass, hell I would say the last 2 Overkill albums are the best shit they've done since Horrorscope.

I liked the new album! It's not amazing (although I did not find the previous two amazing either) and the s/t, Cannibal (weird for Sodom but very cool), Katjuschka (my absolute favorite, 100% Onkel Tom filth) and the rather melodic (see Remember the Fallen or Marines for example) Into the Skies of War, all do the trick for me, very nicely indeed.

Strange how different countries receive the same album. So far in Greece, among my thrash friends the album has been received more enthusiastically than me. And here with much more disappointment. I always wondered about that.

As you know, I'm in the middle here. I find plenty of worthwhile stuff in the album, certainly more than you do and I would argue that my countrymen are simply way more outgoing on their enthusiasm! :p

In any case, I know they share your affection for the past two albums, so all in all, I am more on their side on Epitome! It's not a bland album and it certainly captures the essence of the Sodom-ness and Angelripper more than adequately. The riffs themselves are good, some great, fine overall. Anyway!

For their 90s period, we are 50% in agreement! I absolutely LOVE Get What You Deserve, I bought it at the time and was utterly and hopelessly hooked. Eat Me for example I consider one of the best song of the albums, such filthy groove! Jabba the Hut, Sodomized are prime examples of that, that thrashy, crossoverish Sodomized thing (that has been flirting with deathrash since Tapping the Vein) along with Tom's delivery, which I submit has aged VERY WELL, certainly miles better than Mille's current condition of vocals and a tie with Schmier who I miss his excessive banshee screams... But I digress.

Tapping the Vein is also one of those 90s albums. Very significant in shaping their post-classic sound. And dammit, a good album! I've seen this one being worshipped by a very small number of individuals and the vast majority... not hating, just overlooking. I think it's good, not great. Certainly enjoy The Crippler or Bullet in the Head or indeed Tapping the Vein often.

...more often than masquerade in blood I am afraid. I don't know. That album never gripped me and I can't put my finger on it. Normally I should have loved its early Swedish death metal production in the guitars (they scream Entombed at me) but I can't remember any song other than Masquerade in Blood. Which is great and deliciously Clandestin-ish in a Sodom way but... I think deep in my heart I missed the clarity of the riffage as demonstrated in Agent Orange and got worried at the increasingly muddier direction they were heading? anyway, I haven't listened to this one in ages but my memories are of fuzzy, down-tuned, cavey guitars that were fine on paper but didn't stay with me. Will revisit.

...what did stay with me was the other overlooked 90s Sodom album, Till Death Do Us Unite. I fucking love that one and it is my favorite along with GWYD. First of all, it retained their newfound intensity and heaviness but also clearing up the production to let the thrashing breathe. Of course, it is still filthy Sodom thrash but focused this time. I consider many of its songs Sodom classics (classics that most people have never heard of but anyway!), That's What an Unknown Killer Diarized makes me headbang just as effectively as it did so many years ago and Fuck the Police IS an actual Sodom classic. Hanging Judge (such a sweet three-track combo with the aforementioned "Thats what...." and No Way Out), Suicidal Justice, many awesome tracks, fuck it gotta finish this post (I'm writing this while at work - shame on me). Oh, I should mention that this is the first album with the "new" lineup (the one that just changed with Bobby the drummer leaving) and speaking of drummers, a hasty hail to all those fuckers: Chris Witchunter (very important thrash drummer), Atomic Steif and Bobby. Quality thrash drumming.

Code Red is one of their known ones. Brutal, Slayer-esque riffage creeping in, good one too, I rank it third in the 90s.

But M-16 is better than that and most of their 90s and 00s. Amazing "comeback". And I use the quotes because the band obviously never left. Did not disappear off the map like Destruction. Did not wander in gothic territories like Mille. But it is fitting to use the term comeback, since 2001 marked the release of three GREAT albums by Germany's big 3.

I don't even remember why I started writing this post but in any case, hail Sodom dammit!

Finally got the new Sodom and after one listen I am impressed. Maybe it is due to the lack of quality thrash releases so far this year, or just low expectations going in, but it exceeds what I expected to hear.

Standout songs for me are the following:

Final Bullet, Epitome of Torture, and Cannibal

Well I really like the new album. It definitly has the typical Sodom vibe which isn't necessary surprising but they sound alot more focussed on hard riffs on Epitome of Torture than on the last album (just check out Stigmatized)
I still think In War And Pieces was very good but this album definitly adds the rawer side of Sodom like they have sounded on Code Red or the self titled.
Just my opinion.. Edit: I have to give it a few more spins..