Soft mellow stuff

Triton

In Solitude
Apr 30, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Can someone recommend me some soft mellow stuff like Opeth- Still day beneath the sun and Patterns in the ivy 2? I gotta take a break from metal for a while cus I'm bored of it. Please don't recommend Damnation.

I reccomend...

Alice In Chains - Sap
Alice In Chains - Jar Of Flies
The Grateful Dead - American Beauty
The Grateful Dead - Aoxomoxoa

a bit less acoustic...

King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King
Jeff Buckley - Grace or Live at Sin-e'
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Ten Years After - Stonedhenge

I'm sure some people could also reccomend some of Opeth's influences like Camel and so forth but I don't listen to many of them. I'm also interested in what people have to reccomend here since Opeth is a little more delicate than the stuff I'm familiar with... I'd like to know some bands that are as sparce as Still Day Beneath The Sun.

I have one of Nick Drake's albums. It's been a couple years since I've listened but I recall him being much folkier (like early Dylan or Leonard Cohen) as opposed to the atmospheric-type stuff I want to hear, but I'll definetly give him another listen.

Listening right now and it's pretty good so far. I can see how Akerfeldt copied Drake's mannerism, but I wouldn't say they actually sound similar as far as their voice goes (not that you said they did). Identicle mannerisms/style though.

I don't actually like him that much. I was just pointing out the stylistic similarity between him and Opeth's soft music. I tend to stay away from moody/depressing music in general.

Well, if you want the mellower part of opeth, try Blackfield.
Sounds kinda similar, with a different vocalist of course.

You could also try John Martyn & Bon Iver as well.
Click Me(John Martyn)
And i second Nick Drake!

King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King

Well, you could recommend 'I Talk to the Wind' or 'Moonchild' from it, but the rest ain't all that soft or mellow.

Last edited by a moderator:
good call on the grateful dead but i'd add this dead album to the 2 mentioned:
grateful dead-working mans dead

also:
neil young-harvest
buffalo springfield-anything they ever released
crosby,stills,nash and sometimes young-anything they've ever done
bruce springstenn-nebraska

Depends how mellow you're going for.

I recommend David Bowie, if you want to listen to some folksy kind of stuff. Hunky Dory and The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust are considered to be two of the greatest albums of all time.

Elliott Smith - XO
Elliott Smith - From a Basement on a Hill
Jimmi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?
Jimmi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold As Love
Muse - Origin of Symmetry
Muse - Absolution
Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
Nirvana - MTV Unplugged in New York (scoff, but this is some of the greatest live accoustic work that you'll ever hear)
PJ Harvey - Dry
PJ Harvey - Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea

I hope that's helpfull.

Alcest
Anathema (Fine Day to Exit and A Natural Disaster)
Blackfield
Camel
Dead Can Dance
Elend (Winds Devouring Men)
King Crimson (In the Court of the Crimson King)
Pink Floyd
Porcupine Tree
Shearwater (Rook) - highly highly recommended
Ulver (Shadows of the Sun or Perdition City)

Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun and The Sky Moves Sideways
King Crimson - ITCOTCK(particularly the song Epitaph but whole album is amazing)
Anathema - Judgement, Alternative 4, and Hindsight (highly rec'd!)
Blackfield
Pink Floyd - Animals
David Gilmour - On An Island
The Beatles - Abbey Road

thanks for all the recommendations. I really liked Nick Drake and Shearwater. bands like alcest, porcupine tree and nest are what got me interested in this kind of stuff. I'll check out all the other recommendations as well

thanks for all the recommendations. I really liked Nick Drake and Shearwater. bands like alcest, porcupine tree and nest are what got me interested in this kind of stuff. I'll check out all the other recommendations as well

Have you listened to Elliott Smith? Leonard Cohen?

You might dig a lot of the early shoegaze bands also.

Also, a lot of modern indie rock will fit your need.