Softamping Rammstein and Ruoska

Decadent Sympozium

Loose cannon
Dec 1, 2010
Zagreb
Hello.

Here is the permalink to my introduction post in case you want to see some info. I was routed to this forum by a friend who convinced me that this is the best place to seek guidance in metal production.

Info

Naturally, I was seeking forum because I need help. Before that, though, I think it's important to provide few informations on the situation: I'm a self-taught producer and composer using software and generally don't know much about music theory, playing instruments or gear. I can, for example, listen and take down melodies on the keyboard with ease, say, but I have no clue what I'm doing. I've spent the past 10 years producing and composing orchestral and electronica music and although I'm good at it, I still do everything by feeling. it just happened that way and there's no turning back. So when you talk to me, it's best to pretend as if I'm mentally challenged.

Since before summer of this year I finally started working on metal-type music, waiting for the right time, y'know, money, software, etc. The music of Rammstein, Ruoska and Eisbrecher is something I'll be aiming at, though other genres are not excluded. However, it's lame to start composing while with every new day my sound shifts to better, so I'm aiming to have an approximately-complete setup and then do a so-called demo album in the future.

Problem
I'm stuck. The production of this music is different and I'm not familiar with it. I'm learning on the way, but most of my work is method of mistakes. I need a guide because I don't know what to do to increase quality. I think I raped my production yesterday and destroyed even the possibly good sound I had.

The software I'm using which is an electric guitar is Shreddage for rythm/powerlead and EEG Strawberry for everything else. We will focus on the Shreddage.

The amps I'm using are Metal Amp Room, Revalver MKIII and Guitar Rig 4 (as well as TSE ENGL head freeware).

The host is FL Studio and it's the only program that suits me.

I was convinced that although I can't reach 100% exact sound, I can reach 85-92% of what I want and for that the MAR and especially Revalver should do the trick. If you know better, please suggest so. I will not be using real equpiment.

This is the perfect sound I want to approach: . Alternatively, it's this: and the likes.

Now, ignore bass-drums (bass is Pettin, drums are Addictive Drums), this is where I'm with my current setup (want Pirunkieli):

This is revalvermkIII cabinet default x4 with TSE head and a bit of EQ (cut below 200, reduced mid):

Riff Revalver MKIII+TSE Speedyshare

This is Metal Amp Room:

Riff Metal Amp Speedyshare

This is Guitar Rig 4 Rammfire head+cabinet no control room:

Riff GR4 Rammfire Speedyshare

All three plays are on Shreddage with open sustains which means I'm layering notes to make a powerchord, although shreddage does have auto-powerchords which I generally don't like because it' lacks composing freedom.

//

So, the issues: The screeching, trashy sound, too much in front, too much extra noise, it kinda iron-screeches cccc when palm muting instead being soft, clean but strong, etc. Whenever I improve, I think fuck this is great this shit can't get better, then I listen a song next day and realize it's not good enough. Then I listen to Ruoska and realize it's not good at all.

No clue what to do anymore (please don't say buy real equipment, that's not the point because I heard brilliant mixes based exclusively on software :heh:).

Last edited by a moderator:
well, if you want it to sound like real guitars, record real guitar.

Shreddage and EEG are raw real-guitar record and smartly programmed samplers which depend only on the post-processing.

Shreddage:

EEG:

Matt Guillory with EEG:

It's about everything that comes after the raw guitar, and that's why you can't hit 100%, but you can come really close

Last edited by a moderator:
They sound close but no cigar and it's got nothing to do with post processing.

Someone should try reamping this through a 5150, my bet's there'd still be a way to go

Well under post-processing I thought amping with softamps and then using plugins to adjust to the mix.

If you're not softamper it's hard to help me out, I was hoping somebody might know the way.

I will not be using real equpiment.

Sorry dude, I know you don't want to hear this, and you can argue it all you want, but it still doesn't change the simple fact that while Shreddage and such are "smart" and contain samples from a real instrument, you can only get so far with such tools. It's like taking a fuck-ton of samples from a great vocalist, say a hundred for each and every phoneme you could possibly think of, and use them with the "smartest" possible sampler you can get to reconstruct a vocal track, and it still won't be that same vocalist singing the takes in the studio.

What people don't seem to understand is that while you have the poor man's alternatives for somewhat similar, or maybe even pretty convincing results, you can never (at least not with the technology we have at the moment) REPLACE a real musician who uses real gear. Period. End of story.

Sorry dude, I know you don't want to hear this, and you can argue it all you want, but it still doesn't change the simple fact that while Shreddage and such are "smart" and contain samples from a real instrument, you can only get so far with such tools. It's like taking a fuck-ton of samples from a great vocalist, say a hundred for each and every phoneme you could possibly think of, and use them with the "smartest" possible sampler you can get to reconstruct a vocal track, and it still won't be that same vocalist singing the takes in the studio.

Is there any reason why are the words I typed, such as "want to approach", "85%", "amp sound" and everything else ignored? I mean, the point of this thread is not to argue about guitarists vs softwarers but to help out if possible. I'm pretty sure that someone who knows something about softamping etc. will post a rather constructive reply. :)

What people don't seem to understand is that while you have the poor man's alternatives for somewhat similar, or maybe even pretty convincing results, you can never (at least not with the technology we have at the moment) REPLACE a real musician who uses real gear. Period. End of story.

Yeah that's not true but it's for a debate thread not this one.

I would also be in the camp "You can get something similar, but never anything as good as a real guitar", but then again I've heard what Javi can do with them so...

Although I'm suspecting it sort of depends on what you play, as in different riffs will take better to being played with VSTi's naturally.