Software vs Hardware, Value vs Tone

Do you think software price is adequate to its value, comparing to hardware?

• All are good value for money.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All are overpriced.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ViTAR

Jan 9, 2013
Vilnius, Lithuania
This post came from observation of amp-sim topics and pricing questions.
Many times I hear whining about high price, especially from third world.
I also can't afford many software options, not mentioning much more expensive hardware, but would like to share my opinion.

Yes, it's still may be easier and faster to get good results from hardware, especially before recording.
But are we free enough to choose and use as many hardware options as we desire or can afford?
Many pedals, amps, cabs/speakers, rooms, mics, preamps, consoles, racks, etc.?
Can we run loud enough to get that tone without bothering family and neighbors?

The problem of software value assessment is in unstable experience (different audio interfaces, different signal leveling and quality), not enough experience and long way to satisfactory (single software/plugin may not be enough to get desired tone).
When one achieves outstanding results with software, its value and freedom instantly exceeds hardware value by an order of magnitude.

Many say - studios are for quality tone/sound, budget combos/processors are for practice/home.
I disagree - studios are not available instantly and for free and I want that tone/quality at home for lowest price possible.
It's our pleasure and passion by the way, not only a profession, or not profession at all, just a hobby.
Here comes affordability and compromises.

I believe in software. It's not a salary, it's a mindset that prevents us to value software.
I pay for software as soon as I start to value it or I can afford it and believe I can use (enjoy) it.

I buy the software I use, so yes, I believe it is worth the price (if that is what you are asking) and sometimes even under priced (Reaper, Sonimus, the Valhalla reverbs, etc.). I still prefer my hardware, though, and use as much as possible while tracking.

I have tube amp which just sit in corner, mainly because I can't turn it up in my flat, but also it's more conveniently to just plug guitar in my interface and use either TSEx50v2 or Thermionic. Both give me PERFECT tone I want. Although at the same time I'm trying to put together diy dummy load for amp so I can use amp too. Thermionic is totally worth it and at last I don't feel like something is missing in sound quality and "feel".

@ViTAR If you're refering to my post about Spark, I wasn't "whining", I was stating my opinion.

Now, value is a subjective thing. For someone in Norway $120 might not be a lot. In my country, that would pay for A MONTH worth of food. So thinking consumer choices are guided just by their mindset is, in my opinion, totally idealistic. Material conditions (like salaries) and competition, all affect the perception of value.

Now we have Spark for $120 and Thermionik's Marshland + Recabinet for $27.97. Both of them sound amazing. At the end consumers will cast their vote through their wallets, and only time and sales will thell if their pricing model is right.

Even if I can't afford Spark right now, I value the hard work they've put into it and wish them the best of luck.

I think if you're looking for a hard rule, you're looking at it the wrong way.

@ViTAR If you're refering to my post about Spark...
I'm referring to all such posts.
I know what you're feeling, I'm on the same boat, but disagree how do you compare things.

I compare software to hardware, not software to warez or free.

If I compare the price of my laptop, audio interface, monitors, headphones, software I'm using to play guitar to the price of few amp heads, few cabs, one combo, few pedals, the difference would be 4 times cheaper for software.
In specific numbers, compare 3,000 to 12,000 in EUR.

You're comparing single Thermionic amp to 4 in Spark. To be fair, comparable Thermionic + Recabinet would cost about $80 and difference would not be so big. But which one would you choose after trying both?

Keepin mind that price is not and cannot be proportionnal to quality, there is somewhere a kind of point of diminishing return where increasing quality is far more expensive... But if you want that extra 5%, you don't have a choice.
There might be a shift of that point towards higher prices (or in fact a shift of the global prices towards lower prices) but it is still there!

The other thing is people seem to think people just go like "well, I've made a plug in let's say I'll sell it X$ " : It is obviously far more complex than that, of course they study what it did cost them to develop the plug in, (and the cost is not the same based on where the developper/developping team is based),and estimate what price people are willing to put in their product, etc...

It might seem common knowledge but still I think it is important to remember that before stating boldly something is overpriced (I'm not aiming anyone with this sentance, it's just a general thought).

I have tube amp which just sit in corner, mainly because I can't turn it up in my flat, but also it's more conveniently to just plug guitar in my interface and use either TSEx50v2 or Thermionic. Both give me PERFECT tone I want. Although at the same time I'm trying to put together diy dummy load for amp so I can use amp too. Thermionic is totally worth it and at last I don't feel like something is missing in sound quality and "feel".
Offtopic, but have you tried to record from FX loop? I wrote about it here (posts 12 and 13), and recorded a test:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/threads/the-quest-for-impulse-responses.1084637/

Yeah I can record preamp through fx loop. If I have to turn all those tubes on than I want to have them all.
For now I'm happy as guinea pig with cabbage leaf when using Thermionic. I'm all day sitting next to my computer and it's a matter of seconds to plug in guitar and each time be amazed how grate sound comes out of Thermionic.