• Hardware is B

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Prefer A

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Prefer B

Votes: 15 71.4%

• Total voters

Jan 10, 2005
This is the same mix for both clips. Both have the same chain for mastering with the exception of software or hardware EQ. Pick which one you think is hardware, though I think it's pretty apparent, and which one you prefer with the poll.

A

B

The poll is asking two questions, it will allow you to select multiple answers. Please select only one for each question. I'll post the answers in a day or two.

What was the software EQ you used? Is it modeled after your hardware EQ?

Neither really sound "professional" to me but in the vocals aren't as over the top loud in the B clip so I guess I'd choose that one to sound better. EQ-wise I don't hear much of a difference. IMO there's a bigger difference in dynamics...

I figure that B is the hardware. On this clip I actually prefer A. The mix/song is quite busy and the flatter character and greater high end detail suits it better for me.

To me, the high end in A is more piercing and somehow smeared, whereas B sounds much smoother and more clear. I vote B for both.

Looks like I'm the only one whom thinks A was the hardware :D Granted, I'm not sitting in my studio right now, so I had to judge from a pretty mediocre soundsystem..but I liked the sound of A much more here. B sounded pretty cloudy to me. I have no idea how hardware EQ sounds (never used one) so I just guessed for convenience that the one I liked more would be the hardware.

I have no idea which is hardware.
But I picked A over B, but I couldn't really hear that much difference on my pc setup to be honest.

I don't think this is doing hardware any favours if that is the intention? If its a cheap or bundle EQ then I would stick with it.

I think A is the hardware and I prefer A. Seems to have more weight to it, when the double kicks come in it actually seems to get some push, whereas B seems more static in comparison.

Hmm, really interesting a few of you guys aren't hearing any/much difference... I'm using BX8A's in a room with no bass traps, just high/mid/reflection treatment and it's clear as day to me, I mean really apparent.

I should clarify, this was just a quick test. A fellow member got a hardware EQ and wanted something to test it out with. I'm pretty sure he only spent a whopping total of 5 minutes on it. However, given a serious approach to the application I think the difference would be greater perceived by those of you that can't hear that much of a difference in sound. But, as I said, even with this half-ass comparison I can hear it easily so I dunno...

Either way, the results of the poll aren't surprising at all and speak for themselves ;)

As far as what the two are, A = Ozone EQ, B = a hardware EQ I have been sworn to secrecy to not reveal.

The major difference that jumps out at me immediately is that the mids are totally shifted with the hardware. That seems to make the guitars sound more dominant than they do with the software EQ. I also feel like it is gelling the mix together a little better. For example, the vocals not seeming to be as loud as with the software, I attribute that to the mids being shifted and the guitars coming up more to the front. I say that because nothing was changed but the EQ on the stereo bus, yet it's obviously making the vocals sit better, IMO. The highs are also noticeably smoother on my end and more clear (Wisheraser pointed this out as well). Lastly, the perceived loudness is greater with the hardware EQ while, again, being smoother and more clear.

A just sounded brighter to me, which made it more harsh; especially in the voice. I preferred B since it was less harsh, but the vocal could still use a little bit of de-essing IMO.

The difference wasn't mind-blowingly large to me. I suspect they would be closer if you changed the software EQ settings a bit.

I thought B sounded more in your face and was cleaner in the low mids. Not sure if B is the hardware but it's my choice of which is better.

Details!!

I think it would be really interesting to hear how this secret hardware eq compares to eQuality in analog mode or some of the Nebula eqs. I could give it a shot if you want to send the un-eq'd file/settings my way.