one more time: 1176, Plugin vs. Hardware

Which one do you prefer?

• Total voters
I felt 1 was quite choked and I could actually hear some slight pumping going on in the vocals, whereas the 2 seemed a lot more relaxed. May have all been in my head though.

+1

I prefer no.2 but I have no Idea which is which as I have never used a real 1176 :(

Just goes to show how close modeling is to the real thing. In a few years time, there will be no difference at all.
I'd be interested if some of you could do shootout CLA vs IK Multimedia versions of LA2A and 76.
Btw, guys how much GR do you usually pull on 76 on the clean vocals? Ermz, could you share your settings on that A/B test?

That's an interesting observation, considering the different comps were used in the vocals and not the snare :lol:

:lol:

I prefer 2 as it seems to gel better in the mix to me but either one works great. I was planning on getting an 1176 clone very soon but the more i hear about these CLA vs hardware shootouts the more i think i'm fine with the CLA pack and i should probably get something like a distressor or germanium comp before an 1176.

I couldn't really hear much difference to be honest. Maybe be different when isolated, but in the mix, they're pretty much 1:1 to me.

man, i hear the differences like night and day, even on my cheesy laptop 2.1 setup...

it's more apparent in Ermz' shootout.... the real thing gives the vocal LIFE and MOVEMENT..... MOVEMENT is what i'm listening for....

especially the ending part of Ermz' vox file where he gets real raspy, the plug kind of just 'compresses' that like everything else where as the hardware is compressing but ADDING this awesome movement and life...

clearly hearing the same thing in Lasse's clips as well...

it may just be a matter of learning to use the CLA76's a bit different and not try to 1:1 the settings.... both sound great but the plug always sounds kind of flat and lifeless...

i do agree though, a distressor or UBK Fatso is much higher up on our list....

can't wait for UBK's new UBK-1 comp to come out on PC VST.

i love the way he describes it.....

"Movement Generating Character Compressor"

I like 2 a bit more...aren't the vocals a bit louder in there tho?

Edit: ah a bit late...nice to see I liked the outboard more tho!

Lasse, dont suppose you have the softtube version as well do you? Thanks for the results. Also thanks for your post too Ermz.

Listening back today, im hearing 1 as a bit more boomy. Exactly the same difference in Ermins example too. Possibly fattening up the vocal at the expense of detail. But then, maybe CLA's original 1176 does that. I guess we'll never know.

Great stuff, Lasse and Ermin!

I pulled up Ermin's files in Wavelab, normalized them to the same dB threshold (just in case, they were really well matched already though), and looked at the spectrum. Essentially, the outboard gear has more upper harmonics than the plugin, and is "louder" in the sense that it is more compressed. However, these are still VERY close overall (especially when you consider that no two 1176 units are alike, especially if we're dealing with clone builders.)

I wonder what would happen if you pushed the plugin a little more...

Jarkko, you are right. I missed focusing only in vocals. But I'm right that the snare sounds different. So there is something else. The snares doesn't sound the same.

Yeah, once again the CLA Classic Comps pack is a must-have. The emulations aren't entirely perfect yet, but just the fact that you can turn off that ungodly 50/60 cycle hum is enough! You wouldn't believe how that creeps up in a full mix with enough 1176s.