one more time: 1176, Plugin vs. Hardware

Which one do you prefer?

• Total voters

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
here we go again....

here are two mixdowns (no mastering) one of them with the CLA1176 on the lead vocals, the other one with an outboard 1176 (hardware).

not gonna tell you which one is which right now.....but you can tell me which one you prefer and why:

1176-1
1176-2

Nr 2 seems to sit in the mix better (sound more 'relaxed') and the s's and k's sound nicer, so I voted for that.

i couldn`t hear much difference, but i liked nr1 a bit more, the way it reacts when the comp start working. no idea which track is the real thing ;)

Just woke up, but I think I prefer #2 just a tad bit more. Feels like there's a bit more air and space in the vocals.

This

Nr 2 seems to sit in the mix better (sound more 'relaxed') and the s's and k's sound nicer, so I voted for that.

And this.

I think I can recognize the sound of the plugin but taking into account that even 2 hardware '76 sound different from each other (they say), the plug is quite good.

I hear the nr 2 vocals almost 1dB louder but thanks for posting.

I slightly prefer #2 as well, but as El_Gato said, the vocal seems a bit louder in that mix so maybe it's just a case of louder = better.

I ever so slightly prefer the attack on #1, but it's very close, and I would be very happy to own either of these. I have no idea which one is the plug, since I've never used either and thus don't know what to listen for. Both sound very good to me!

I, SEE, SAY, GOOD, BYE, SUN! Nice test dude. I'd guess 1 is the real 76, as it is a bit fatter (or will I be back later to call that fat mud? :D). I've not used a real one though. What a nitemare though. Either way I prefer the way it sits in the mix overall - sticks out a little more. I like 2 as well, its just a bit more brittle sounding. Maybe 2 actually sits back in the mix better though, god damnit lol. Will be interested to know the outcome. I guess you used the CLA blue?

Oh, I forgot to say what I think is the real thing. I agree with the guys that think that Nr 1 is the real thing (more detail, less brittle). But after listening again, I still like Nr 2 more here. And also curious about the outcome. :)

Prefer 2

Pretty cool how close the plug-in is. It was the same story in my own test. The CLA Classic Compressors pack is an absolute must-have.

The level difference in this test makes it hard to compare objectively though.

For those who haven't used the hardware before, and don't know the differences, here is a solo lead vox comparison between a Rev A clone and the CLA76-Bluey:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Forum/Shoot-outs/1176 Shoot-out/Vox-1176Clone.wav

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Forum/Shoot-outs/1176 Shoot-out/Vox-Waves1176.wav

Number 1 sounds far better, clearer and crisp. You can see it clearly in the snare. THe sound is more "pro" too.