Slate VBC Vs. Hardware Test

Is this the latest version of the VBC Grey with the frequency response issue fixed? I prefer B by a very small margin. It seems to have slightly more low end girth and transient definition. I'm thinking A is the old version of VBC Grey and B is the Obsidian. That said, with examples this close, I'm perfectly fine not owning an Obsidian.

Is this the latest version of the VBC Grey with the frequency response issue fixed? I prefer B by a very small margin. It seems to have slightly more low end girth and transient definition. I'm thinking A is the old version of VBC Grey and B is the Obsidian. That said, with examples this close, I'm perfectly fine not owning an Obsidian.

Yup latest version

While B feels a tad fatter (what people already said), A feels a tiny bit tougher, easier for the master-chain to process it without squashing the mix on fast kick drums. Hard to say which one I prefer, cos the difference is not huge. I'd choose A, it feels clearer. But it's not the work of compressor that makes it clearer. Speaking of compression character, it's pretty hard to distinguish.

B does sound a little bigger with more low end like the others said, but I definitely hear the clarity in A that Bormoleos was talking about, and I think I'd choose that.
(there's also the fact that I have this subconscious urge to be part of the minority, so that's probably making me biased)

From the quick comparisons people have done with my GSSL, VBC appears to have a presence boost. It also has a cleaner and less weighty sound than my hardware, which is what leads me to believe it's A. The hardware is usually somehow more glued, yet indistinct, less clear. Some of that could be coming from the converter loop too. I'd be pretty surprised if B was VBC, but hey anything's possible.

I like B best, for the glue and low end feel that has been mentioned already.

EDIT: After listening to it again today, I'm sort of coming back from my choice. I still think B has the nice low end, but I now think A conveys more energy. Especially while listening at low levels, I think that A retains the power of the song better, while B flattens a bit. So I'm changing my choice to A.

A= cleaner, lighter and clearer, VBC.
B= GLUE, more weight and lows, Obsidian.

A shame I don't have connection at the studio. I wish I listened to it on my monitors or cans but I listened to it now on some cheap earbuds and there's an obvious difference anyway.

How much GR here, Sacha?

A= cleaner, lighter and clearer, VBC.
B= GLUE, more weight and lows, Obsidian.

A shame I don't have connection at the studio. I wish I listened to it on my monitors or cans but I listened to it now on some cheap earbuds and there's an obvious difference anyway.

How much GR here, Sacha?

6-8db on both

Sacha amazing song as always!

If I could have the fatness of B, but the clarity of A! Probably nothing a little EQ on A couldn't fix. But the clarity of B is a problem.

As I've been playing with VBC since it came out, I too have noticed the high end sheen it puts on everything. I've already decided I like the sound of my UAD SSL bus more.

My guess is A = VBC B = Hardware.

B had a more pleasing pumpiness to me. That being said, I guess B is the hardware?

EDIT: Woo, I had matching opinions with most people leading me to believe I'm not a standard for placebo :p

While we're at it, I'll fire off my first-guess impressions on those clips Steven posted on GS. About 10 seconds worth of comparison on each.

Test 1 = Hardware
Test 3 = Hardware
Test 5 = Hardware
Test 7 = Hardware

Didn't mean to pick the first option out of each test, but they immediately struck me as the 'hardware sounding' ones. Keen to know what the results are.

Sacha amazing song as always!

If I could have the fatness of B, but the clarity of A! Probably nothing a little EQ on A couldn't fix. But the clarity of B is a problem.

As I've been playing with VBC since it came out, I too have noticed the high end sheen it puts on everything. I've already decided I like the sound of my UAD SSL bus more.

My guess is A = VBC B = Hardware.

I've been also heavy testing and using the VBC/Grey especially and I still feel my duende bus comp smokes Grey. Even after the bug update.

Might have something to do with it modelling a bit different thing (C-series comp) but it's much cleaner and snappier, more focused on the center and stereo image is overall more glued somehow. Just more 3D.

Gotta check the files/comparison, when I'll get to studio later today.