Soilwork ripping off Katatonia song titles!

ahh.. soilwork is a very competent band, excellent musicians.
so it should be very interesting to see how the 2 katatonia cover songs turned out. glad they put them on the album ;)

Blakkheim said:
ahh.. soilwork is a very competent band, excellent musicians.
so it should be very interesting to see how the 2 katatonia cover songs turned out. glad they put them on the album ;)

ah come on, they not that competent!
They doing katatonia covers? thats odd. cant they wright their own bleedin songs?

I have liked some of every Soilwork CD I have heard.....for me it doesnt have much lasting power like Katatonia but I cant deny that they are talented musicians....I have seen them live and they put on a good show too....

Some of you are being so close minded and judgemental......lol

of course they are not kata-covers, sarcasm it is called.
and they are extremly talented musicians. and then the music,
well, it's all about taste. personally I like A predators Portrait and
Chainheart machine, while Steelbath suicide is far too much At the Gates
and Figure Number Five just suck major ass. Natural Born Chaos is ok,
but many songs lack inovation.

Interesting about the song titles, but come on, they are single words that are fairly common. It's not like there's a song on there called 'Velvet Thorns (Of Drynwhyl)'. =\ In any case, what's with all the Soilwork hate? I think they're a damn fine band, and I have enjoyed all of their albums -- including Figure Number Five. I'm glad to see they're coming out with a new album; I hadn't known this.

Erik said:
To continue this stream of endlessly interesting information :D, Saturnus have a song called "For Your Demons" :erk:

That's older than "For my demons" though. (at least as far as I could tell from the cds)

I can't stand any of the Gothenburg bands anymore except the best songs from Dark Tranquillity. That whole style got boring and watered down 5 years ago, and lame-ass keyboards and mallcore influences sure isn't making it better. Granted, Soilwork doesn't suck as much as In Flames do, but they're damn close.

I, on the other hand, like a lot of the Gothenburg bands, especially In Flames. Dark Tranquility is also quite good. I just can't really enjoy Soilwork...

I think the whole Gothenburg thing had its time around 95-97. There's no need for more bands using the style really, when Dark Tranquillity already released "The Gallery" and "The Mind's I" that pretty much brutally destroy any other attempts. It's a bit sad to see so many talented musicians starting new bands today playing music that's pretty much totally explored.

stefan86 said:
It's a bit sad to see so many talented musicians starting new bands today playing music that's pretty much totally explored.
Cheers to that, but I think it's normal to start with easily recognizable influences, some bands must have inspired you to make music in the first place. Later on, you should develop your own style, that's true. Too many bands are flogging dead horses. In rare cases (Bloodbath), you can revive them though.

Yeah. When it's actually styles that seem to be forgotten today, like real 80's thrash and oldschool swedish Death Metal it's really cool to see it be revived. But all these scandinavian bands who only pretty much sound the same and move in the same direction are just too many really. It really makes it sweet when a band comes and really sounds fresh though. Like Insision do today in Sweden's Death Metal scene. Those guys destroy everything in their path.

On the Gothenburg thing, I don't like any new bands...I like the originals...In Flames and Dark Tranquility basically. As for using your roots and having your own sound, it's so very rare anymore. Bloodbath definitely, Opeth, and a few others do quite well at it. But it just doesn't happen anymore... :(