Soilwork's lead guitar tone?

Mark_Palangio

On The Fields Of Life
Jul 12, 2005
Greensburg, PA
Best lead guitar tone I've ever heard in my life, specifically on Natural Born Chaos. I know they use 5150's and Engl Savage 120's for the most part, but does anyone here know which amp they use for leads? I know production and the players themselves are a big part of the tone, but is there anything I could do to get closer to that lead tone?

Natural Born Chaos is probably my favorite overall Soilwork. I do miss the Chainheart Machine stuff... but hey that music didn't set them apart from the rest as much. As a bass player, I love the way the bass sits in the mix on that album.

I've got a Guitar World where they say Peter used a 5150 and Ola used a Peavy Transtube solid state head on Natural Born Chaos.

I seem to remember that they use Randall amps nowadays, I'll see if I can find out more.

Edit:
Ola Frenning:
Krank Amps and Cabinets
Kiyairi Accoustic Guitars
Caparison Guitars
Dean Markley Strings
EMG-pick-ups
Signature pics

Ola Flink:
1 Peavy Bass
2 Fender
2 ESP
Ampeg SVT 350

They don't list Peter Wicher's gear anymore...

Here's some more, looks like I was right at one point:

They currently use Randall Cyclone Heads and Randall Cabinets.

For "Stabbing the Drama" they took a Randall Cyclone and dubbt the lines with a Peavey 5150.

and soilwork uses Kranks, because i've seen then, they both use dual krank heads, and a randall cab, i dont know which but its a randall

So it looks like they change their gear like socks :lol:

Splat88 said:
I've got a Guitar World where they say Peter used a 5150 and Ola used a Peavy Transtube solid state head on Natural Born Chaos.

Someone told me they read that in a magazine as well, but they said that was the rig they used for A Predator's Portrait?

Mark_Palangio said:
Someone told me they read that in a magazine as well, but they said that was the rig they used for A Predator's Portrait?

I've heard that before as well, and yes, it was in regards to A Predator's Portrait. I think I remember seeing the 5150 and Transtube heads listed on their web site around the time of APP's release.

I've seen studio pics of Soilwork with a Savage and a 5150 before; I think someone posted them on HC, actually. Did they record NBC at Fredman? 'Cause those are the house amps there, aren't they? I can see why you'd want that combination, Mark... ;)

Exocaster said:
I've heard that before as well, and yes, it was in regards to A Predator's Portrait. I think I remember seeing the 5150 and Transtube heads listed on their web site around the time of APP's release.

I've seen studio pics of Soilwork with a Savage and a 5150 before; I think someone posted them on HC, actually. Did they record NBC at Fredman? 'Cause those are the house amps there, aren't they? I can see why you'd want that combination, Mark... ;)

They actually have pictures up on their website now of them playing live with a 5150 and a Savage 120, recent pics too since it's with that new guitarist. I don't think NBC was at Studio Fredman, Devin Townsend produced that album.

Actually it was at Fredman.

NBC booklet:

"Produced by Devin Townsend
Co-Produced by Fredrik Nordstrom

Recorded and Mixed at
Studio Fredman Oct/Dec 2001

Mixed by
Fredrik Nordstrom, Devin Townsend & Peter Wichers.

Engineered by
Devin Townsend, Patrik J-sten, Fredrik Nordstrom & SOILWORK"