Help me get a decent lead tone!

CGord

Aug 2, 2006
AZ, USA
OK, as some of you may know, :puke: my lead tone is not the greatest. To be more precise, I do not have one; all I have is my rhythm tone.

For those brave souls willing to listen & critique, I've recorded some short examples (8, to be exact) of the amps I want to use. The clips are all with my C-1 Hellraiser, EMG 85 neck/81 bridge. The two amps are the 5150 & Uberschall models. I have a clip of each pickup, through each amp, with & without some Tube Screamer thrown on top. I left the cab & mic choices alone, as this already seemed like too much (and to my ears, the 57 mic model sounds like crap).

I also have pictures! This seemed like a better idea than writing out "bass-3:00, mid-2:00", etc. There are six images, showing each amp setting, including each pedal I'm using (gate, compression, TS, reverb) & the cab & mic choice. There is only one 5150 image, as everything except the amp settings is the same between it & the Uberschall. Same reverb, comp, etc.

I was going to post all of this stuff in a thread, but that would be way too much, so I've compressed all of it into a downloadable zip file. The images are jpg, the clips are vbr mp3. There's even an m3u playlist for your convenience!

Here's an image example:

5150.jpg

And here's a clip example:

5150, Bridge pup, w/TS

Here is the zip file: CGord Lead Tone

Now, for those of you who question my ability to play lead, I'm right there with ya. But I'd like to leave 'em thinking "he can't play worth a damn, but that tone was smokin'!" :D

Many thanks in advance!

I don't know if it will be the same with guitarport but when I had my 5150...the real head, my lead tone was...
Gain 6
Bass 6
Treb 6
Middle 6
Presence 6
Resonance 6
and I had a delay of 400ms
That was my lead tone....also might I suggest swapping out the 81 Pickup in the bridge and replacing it with the 85, I did it and I'll never go back. cheers

Carcass29 said:
I don't know if it will be the same with guitarport but when I had my 5150...the real head, my lead tone was...
Gain 6
Bass 6
Treb 6
Middle 6
Presence 6
Resonance 6
and I had a delay of 400ms
That was my lead tone....also might I suggest swapping out the 81 Pickup in the bridge and replacing it with the 85, I did it and I'll never go back. cheers

So you pretty much ran everything flat? Just over half? Interesting, I never considered that, though I've noticed that as I've improved my rhythm sound, the bass/mid/treble settings have been getting closer together.

I'm too in love with my Hellraiser as is for me to play with the pickups yet, but I have noticed other guitars with 85's in the bridge. I assume it fattens things up?

KeithRT99 said:
i say back of the gain a bit and you'd be ok

Thanks! I'll try it.