I NEED OF TONE!!!

the above posts cover it... say "machine head use a 5150, you wanna sound like em, check my setup..."

the brass knucks seem like the best way to beat it into him though...

Tell him his tone is pretty cool, but that Machine Head tracked with a 5150 because its dynamic phase response and harmonic saturation works better because the magnetic fields might interfere with the Spider's natural compression, and using the Radio Shack microphone might cause a zero potency instability and overload the AD-converter's second gain stage, and the resulting impedance mismatch would lead to a situation where you are forced to smack the musician's head repeatedly with the Spider's floorboard until the ground loop issue is solved and he painfully bleeds to death.

Now that is fantastic. :lol:

only when they're REALLY stubborn and they pcik your amp in ablindtest saying "wow that other amp sucks balls" (not knowing that it's their amp...more often than not a Pball btw)

I'm sorry Lasse -are you saying Powerball sucks balls? :eek:

Maybe the dude got a point. Don´t blow his happiness bubble until you listen his tone. I remember some people thinking I was a douche because I liked a cheap LTD with EMG85 much more than the Gibson Les Paul Custom with stock pickups of the studio. We did a quick A/B test and 5 seconds was enough to prove that I was right besides the brand and price tags.

I'm not getting the Pball I'm getting a SE670 next week -if all goes well
I'd like to know why ENGL 'sucks balls'. Explain please?

Maybe the dude got a point. Don´t blow his happiness bubble until you listen his tone.

This.

Not saying your guy isn't a doofus, but I've had some odd rigs myself which "knowledgeable" folks told me I was "doing it wrong" before they even heard it. Then they heard it and said "that fucking rocks".

Beats me how some sound engineers expect their opinions to be taken seriously when they make up their minds about a sound before they've even heard it.

I'm not getting the Pball I'm getting a SE670 next week -if all goes well
I'd like to know why ENGL 'sucks balls'. Explain please?

I don't think it's Engl in general, just the Powerball which gets the haet.

Powerball is held to sound over-compressed and fizzy, at least when recorded. Lasse is a particular flag-waver for this. Some folks don't agree, but their "good" Powerball recordings don't usually match Lasse's recordings of other amps...

I've no experience recording them, but I've heard Powerballs used live. Sounded very thick and not as dynamic as most amps. No obvious fizz. Big and smooth; nice if you like that kind of sound.

IIRC, our chief Powerball hater Lasse has posted that they're okay live, just bad to record. But I may be remembering that wrong.

say "machine head use a 5150, you wanna sound like em, check my setup..."

They also used a Flextone or something didn't they? I think I can hear more than a hint of Line6 in The Blackening.

Actually, one time I had a guitar tone worked up, a guy came round, he said it was just like "Burn My Eyes" so we put the CD on and compared, it was barely even similar.

If a guy says he wants to sound "like Machine Head", perhaps sometimes the tone he has in mind doesn't actually resemble any recorded Machine Head tone too closely...

I refuse to put my name on anything i know is going to sound like a whale fucking a chicken.

You can get that sound from a Metal Zone and a Spider?

I wish I'd known, last time I wanted that sound I used a real whale and a real chicken and it made a heck of a mess. :yuk:

Dude I know how that goes about 80% of bands that I work with bring there Line 6 spider amps and expect a Badass tone but I ALWAYS split the signal and end up using an amp sim with the DI haha. The cool part about it is that they think their amp is the one on the recordings :D

Take a dry track & reamp with the band out of the studio. You can do a blind A/B test after the fact & you don't even have to tell him it's another amp.

Wow! Some great responses here lol. Im seriously going to do a blind test....& if for some reason he makes the wrong choice Ill just split the signal and get a DI. I let him hear my 5150 setup & he seemed quite surprised. His words were something like this, "dang, i cant believe an amp that old can sound like that.". Hopefully he is already convinced.

I heard his rig in action... OMG I thought my eardrums were going to burst from the harshness. NO mids, super grainy, screeching highs, and muddier than hell. Seriously, when his whole band played together you could not even hear the guitar (except for some pick attack).

Some tones that people come up with just blow me away.

Oh, & i forgot to say earlier...he is running his line 6 spider heard through some cheap ass fender cab. This is seriousl the worst cab ive ever seen. Its light as a feather and the speakers break up with the volume barely up.

I have there equipment here. I messed around and managed to get something halfway decent sounding with the spider....but I left out the metal zone and used my line 6 412vs cab (the one with v30s).

The rest of the band seem to have it together. I think they all hate his tone but for some reason will not tell him. Maybe this will be a wake up call.

I let him hear my 5150 setup & he seemed quite surprised. His words were something like this, "dang, i cant believe an amp that old can sound like that.". Hopefully he is already convinced.

Old? Seriously how old is that little shit, 12? 5150s range from 7-19 years old, that can't constitute as an "old" amp. Sounds like he was the load his mom should have swallowed.

They also used a Flextone or something didn't they? I think I can hear more than a hint of Line6 in The Blackening.

They use the Flextone II, I believe the Modern High Gain model, for some added lower end..i believe it was on the making of Through The Ashes of Empires where Robb stated this..cant find the video on youtube.

Old? Seriously how old is that little shit, 12? 5150s range from 7-19 years old, that can't constitute as an "old" amp. Sounds like he was the load his mom should have swallowed.

I know...trust me it was tough to keep my composure. Its a mkI but come on, its not like its an old beat to hell road master or anything. Its near mint condition and its my baby. I seriously felt like someone insulted my child!

My 6505 is my child as well. I feel your pain. In my ears.

This guitarist who auditioned for my band played a Spider III 2x12 combo through a Randall R125cx. Badass cab, terrible amp. I turned him down because I couldn't hear him well enough to tell whether he was a decent guitarist or not.