soldano cab no good?

ashgallows

resonant manipulator
Oct 22, 2007
Culver City
www.myspace.com
hey guys, i've been killing my self lately trying to get a good miced tone in my apt everything seems like it's great gear and working properly but for some reason every which way i try and mic it, the tone is either harsh or boomy. the only thing i can think of is the soldano cab i have may not be good for metal.

the chain is
BC rich warlock w/emg81's ->mxr 10 band eq frown face with volume and gain at max for a boost ->6505+ top end of bias range with the dial -> soldano 4x12 oversized straight cab-> sm7b-> art mpa gold-> protools 002r.

i have a 31 band eq i will try out in the fx loop but for some reason I can't seem to dial out the harshness.

Run a sine sweep in different locations throughout the room, find resonant spots. If you can, get the cab off the ground. And pull down the volume from the pedal, boost with a TS if you really need to.

for sure, i got it off the ground. unfortunately i have no ts, reamping with ts808 didn't help much when i tried that one. So you think dropping the volume on the mxr to zero will help? what about the gain? Also is there an advantage to using a sine sweep as opposed to pink noise?

the pre input eq or the fx loop one? I have the pre one just to tighten up things in place of a ts. I dunno the guitar seems pretty solid, i've gotten some pretty good tones on other people's setups. I am going to try moving the cab around next, only problem is space issues etc. so I'll see how it works out. One weird thing is the highs on the amps eq sound so weird and glassy i actually got a way better tone just diming the mids and the lows on the amp. It still sounded bad but better than the trad mids on 2 -4.

It just seems to me that after months of reading, adjusting, recording with seemingly pretty pro gear that I would get something useable if even on accident. I dont know that i've ever read about anyone on here using soldano cabs, so my best guess is that is what is doing the damage.

just today i was watching fearcomplexmusic's guitar micing guide on youtube and i tried the same deal with the 57 after getting a pretty good tone in the room and it just sounded like ass compared to his.

less gain=less harsh in my experiences. Also, post eq that shit? How high is the volume? Low volumes usually ends up in a shitty sounding distortion that can sound harsh.

Yeah, even having not heard the tone I would bet that will help a ton. 6505+ has plenty of gain and doesn't really need the gain and volume on the mxr up full. Just use it for tightening up the low end.

for sure, I understand where you are coming from. I tried with and without the boost and with it just and eq shaper going in and in the end i had the best results with it cranked up as far as tightness and dynamics. I was recording it loud enough to shake the floor, the post eq helped but it just wasnt enough to make it right.
I just realized that the cab is problem as I was finding recordings of people using my same setup, i believe it was feared who had some clips of 6505 through soldano and through some other cabs. his had that same top end quality that I cant seem to get rid of and i know he knows what he is doing as his clips sound very pro.

I have a vetta combo that i used to use for gigging that i am going to attempt to mic up today and see if that works. in the meantime I am trying to sell the cab in favor of a mesa recto cab or a 1960A as I'd rather use the real deal.

btw trevoir, great mesa impulses! when i was using them back in the day it was always your pack and the mystery 1960A pack.

for sure, I understand where you are coming from. I tried with and without the boost and with it just and eq shaper going in and in the end i had the best results with it cranked up as far as tightness and dynamics. I was recording it loud enough to shake the floor, the post eq helped but it just wasnt enough to make it right.
I just realized that the cab is problem as I was finding recordings of people using my same setup, i believe it was feared who had some clips of 6505 through soldano and through some other cabs. his had that same top end quality that I cant seem to get rid of and i know he knows what he is doing as his clips sound very pro.

I have a vetta combo that i used to use for gigging that i am going to attempt to mic up today and see if that works. in the meantime I am trying to sell the cab in favor of a mesa recto cab or a 1960A as I'd rather use the real deal.

btw trevoir, great mesa impulses! when i was using them back in the day it was always your pack and the mystery 1960A pack.

Hey Ash. For shits and giggles, try out a ribbon mic instead of the dynamic. I have the Apex205 that works really well. It might help to smooth out some of that top end you are not liking. Ribbon mics tend to have more of a smoother characteristic to them that may counter-balance the high end. Can't hurt to try it before dumping the cab. Let me know if that works for ya.

i agree a 121 can get some killer results. only problem is I dont have access to any ribbon mics. At any rate I think this is just one of those things where i was using the wrong tool for the wrong application, I'm obviously looking for the typical v30 marshall or mesa sound and just need to buy one of those. I started out thinking the problem was my micing skills ect. but i've heard multiple recordings of this cab and have realized that is just the character of it's sound. Only problem now is no one uses soldano cabs that i know of so selling it is proving to be difficult.