solid state vs tube preamp for DI

steveguitarplayer

New Metal Member
Dec 9, 2008
I posted a question awile back (November i think) and i did some testing. its regarding whether to use a tube or solid state preamp with a DI to record guitars with and reamp later. I dont have any clips though, sorry, but one thing was clear, the solid state won out over the tubes. the tubes sounded too warm and was soft on the transients. i record metal, EMG 81 and Ernie Ball Petrucci Model guitar.

recently i sent guitars for reamping to cj and he commented on the 'soft' sound of the DI, which was an avalon 737... maybe i should have used a solid state unit?

Well, it's kinda logical if you think about it. The solid state amp is more transparent by a fair degree comparing to the tube one, which introduces much more color, making it 'warmer' (a characteristic which a lot of us tend to like), but it also saturates transients, rounding them off. On the other hand the solid state amp doesn't do that (or if it does, at least it's much less noticeable), which leaves transients sharper. So, there you go.

When comparing solid state you should also differentiate between transformer input and discrete opamp inputs as they are both considered as solid state as far as i know but have very different charateristics.
Most of the more desirable/expensive/vintage DI/Pre's use transformers which drive with a pleasing colouration where as cheaper DI boxes/pre's use discrete opamps and sound very clean / transparent but when you drive them too hard they sound like ass!
I think this is very important to highlight in this discussion.