solo parts???

demondeath

Metal
Sep 10, 2002
Philippines
Visit site
I have a band, 4 members inlcuding me.I love soloing especially shredding but i don't how to convince my band members to do a good rhytm for me while im soloing...I love rhytm to but right now I wannna make some solos.I don't want them get bored or somethin and i kinda feel awkward telling them to;"hey play this and that" I'm one of the 2 leaders but still I want to respect them...any advice???

Write songs with specific sections for lead... That would be just part of the song, and you'll be free to do whatever...

If they get bored, then they don't know what they're doing. A good musician can take a boring spot and have fun with it, IMO...

;)

Yeah, exactly...

By writing the song with a specific part for soloing...
Or even better, you can create, in the rythmn part, some kind of melody wich suits your solo (maybe with the sacles you are using, or play with the tonic, Dominant, realtive scale).. This way maybe they won`t get so bored.

Is there another guitarist? Well, it`s cool that you enacourage him to play leads. It`s great when you play a lead and the other guitarist continues playing.

Good Luck!

P.S: Just my opinion ;) I recommend not to solo for, like 20 minutes, because it`s really difficult to keep audience`s attention with a so-long solo. Of course, if you are great like Becker, Petrucci, Gilbert, Malmsteem, . etc. etc.... they won`t!! ;)

Originally posted by demondeath
I have a band, 4 members inlcuding me.I love soloing especially shredding but i don't how to convince my band members to do a good rhytm for me while im soloing...I love rhytm to but right now I wannna make some solos.I don't want them get bored or somethin and i kinda feel awkward telling them to;"hey play this and that" I'm one of the 2 leaders but still I want to respect them...any advice???
..Well, if they know what key you're playing in, they don't just have strum the cords. They can play the rhytm cords & sneak a lick in once in a while to double what you're playing, to make what your playing even stronger. ..Both the bass & other guitarist can switch off doing this.:cool:

Well, therefore if you are the only guitarrist...thing are different. I am in a similar situation, and I don`t like it at all. When I play leads i feel there is a void, well that`s because i have always like thta twin-guitars thing.

So.. to sum up I would suggest.... Look for another lead guitarist!!!!! (it`s important both of you to be lead guitarists....the music will be richer)

Sooo gOOd lUCk :)

Usually in my band, my drummer loves to do a lot of fills, which I find to be a very powerful element for my solos, because he doesn't just play a standard repetitive beat. My bass player is the same as well, he likes to sneak a lick here and there while I am off soloing.
It is a good thing to develop because when you are with the people long enough you learn to read each other and feel each other and you play off each other. This really adds a massive amount of dynamics to your solos.
Also it can make the most cliche lick sound like the coolest thing in the world. I mean you do an average pentatonic lick, but because your bass player decides to do an arpeggio rather than just strum the root note of a chord, it changes the entire feel and gives different accents and harmonies to the notes you would be playing.
Right now we are looking for another guitar player so I can't really talk about that. But in the past when we had two guitar players, the one that wasn't soloing would stick to the standard rythm and await their turn more, eventhough we also would sneak a little lick here and there :D
Anyway hope that was helpful.

Cheers!

well our bassist is a lead bassplayer...you know...Burton stuff. Anyway Here at the Philippines its fuckin hard to look for another metal guitarist Especially the ones who like Swedish Metal...Technical sounding stuff...only a few......

Anyway Whenever I solo song goes thin sounding in an instant...can avoid this even though Im the only guitarist???

Well for one thing, when you solo, try not to go too high pitched, cause that really does make a big vacuum in the middle of the sound. I mean if a song calls for it do it. Also you can have the bass player add a little distortion to his tone, that way filling up some of the space of the guitar. Also have your bass player play more chorded riffs, that also helps fill up the sound. And maybe lower your volume or have him, raise his volume up a little, that helps some too. Also when you play live, the mixing of the PA system can add a lot of stuff like reverb and compression which helps fill in the gaps when you start to solo, the only thing is the person mixing needs to know your songs some so he knows when to add/take off the effects.
I mean a check out Decapitated, they have a really nice full sound and only 1 guitar player. Another good example is Pantera, who manage to stay heavy and still Dime throws in some crazy solos.

Hope this was a help, keep thrashing.