Solo's and Lead sound?

chopchop

Jun 4, 2010
Hey! got another question here :p
I was wondering, usually when I play lead parts or solo's, I love to use delay or lots of reverb. I'm using reverb from my amp and delay from a pedal I've got.

So I was wondering, when I record a solo part, should I recored it with the delay pedal? or should I add the delay later in the DAW?
I remember hearing some of petrucci's solo's when the delay is in stereo and I guess this cannot be achieved by recording a delayed sound?

Once again, sorry for the nooby questions :p
Thanks in advanced!

Here's another take: if the delay is an important part of the sound, why not record it?*
Yes, it's harder to change things afterwards, so make sure you really know what you're doing and get the delay tempo and wet/dry balance right.
If you have time (and no bands waiting while you mess around), at least give it a try and see/hear what it sounds like.
Try using a pedal in front of the amp or on the FX-loop, experiment! :)

* For the record (heh), I usually add delays in the mix..

jes, later during the mix.

although, it depends. if you're trying to achieve a very characteristic effect sound by using a combination of pedals, do so. i would only do that for certain fx sections that rely on a specific amp sound, not for every single lead line.

I play lead guitar and i get INSPIRED by a good lead sound with delay, especially in melodic/atmospheric parts.
So i set the correct tempo and record the signal WITH a delay, just as i would play live!
Of course this is not good for certain lead parts, where i take it off to add it later in my DAW.

So, my opinion is that, if it makes you to play better (in some circumstances, it really makes your playing more expressive, than recording with a plain dry sound), you can record your signal with a delay.
OR split it, so that you are recording the dry signal and you are listening the delayed "fuller" sound.

or just record the dry signal and monitor with a delay via send fx ;)

Hmmmmmmmm....hmmmmmmmm.......yeaaah....yeah, i knew it i just tested you, hmmmm...yeah!
Yeah, you are good, you passed the test!!!

(No0b not accepting he would stupidly split his signal :rofl: :rofl:)

I, too, record a dry track and apply delay afterwards. It's easier to sync the delay in the DAW. I usually send the solo track to a delay aux and then send that aux to the vocal reverb aux. It glues everything together nicely.

Also, I have a confession to make. I love PodFarm's Digital Delay and that's what I usually end up using. Actually, I'm guilty of using it on vocals, too.

I, too, record a dry track and apply delay afterwards. It's easier to sync the delay in the DAW. I usually send the solo track to a delay aux and then send that aux to the vocal reverb aux. It glues everything together nicely.

Also, I have a confession to make. I love PodFarm's Digital Delay and that's what I usually end up using. Actually, I'm guilty of using it on vocals, too.

Me too ! Love the digital delay in Pod Farm. But yeah to the OP , you can add delay , distortion etc , but you can't take it away so it's better to add it later

I don't have PodFarm, but i think this is exactly the kind of "confession" that could turn out very useful.
maybe worth a thread.....