Some general drum mixing advice needed

Salvation 13

Burp.
Feb 9, 2006
Tampere, Finland
Hi,

Two questions for now:

- Where do you guys usually put reverb on drums and how much?

- I have trouble of the kick drowning in the mix. On it's own it's big and beefy but in the mix it just isn't there. I don't want to make it too clicky sounding, rather a big thump. (More of a rock-style kick than metal). Any suggestions? I know I'll have to hipass the guitars, but the bass guitar will propably go lower than the kick. I'll post clips later today.

I usually put some plate reverb on the snare and toms and that's it. Since you want the kick to have the low end thump why not try letting the bass peak a little bit higher than the kick so that the kick has more low end emphasis.

Yep, I thought of that. The problem is though, that even on the preliminary mixes where there isn't even a bass guitar, only the guitars and drums, (I hipassed the guitars at 100Hz) the kick seems to drown too.

I've already replaced the kick with drumagog. (Using the same kick as a sample).

Any advice what kind of compression to use on the kick? (I'm really new to this, I've only mixed one demo before this).

Hmm, wow, I usually never hi-pass guitars that high, even acoustics. Well I'll just wait 'til I can hear your clip then and hopefully I can give you some advice, no promises though hehe, I'm no pro either. :heh:

I'll second what Razorjack said. Rarely I will use very little verb on OHs too, but it's mainly toms and snare.

Lately I've been liking the sound of a room mic to add ambience to the snare rather than just plain reverb. Adds a more 'rock' vibe I guess. Just keeps things sounding a touch more organic.

i usually use gated reverb on the snare (just 2-5%) to make each hit sound a bit bigger and i usually use a room / hall on the toms (15-25%) and aditionally on the snare, depending if i used a room mic or not.

i'd say if you wanna make the kick come through better in the mix without making it too clicky, try some compression with slow attack time (at least 50 ms) and fast release. this will make the attack phase come forward more on each hit and create a punch that should come through.

something else that might help is balance out the low(mids) of the kick and the bass guitar. i usually end up making a little dent in the kick around 160 Hz to let the bass sit in there.

punkrockacademyfightsong said:
i'd say if you wanna make the kick come through better in the mix without making it too clicky, try some compression with slow attack time (at least 50 ms) and fast release. this will make the attack phase come forward more on each hit and create a punch that should come through.

Works like a charm! thanks!:kickass:
I normally compressed with 11 ms of attack and around a 160 ms release, sounded awesome but compressing it your way gives me a better overall drumsubmix:headbang:

Salvation 13 said:
Hi,

Two questions for now:

- Where do you guys usually put reverb on drums and how much?

It depends.... in a natural rock style sometimes I use more natural sound from the room mics than any reverb. On snare always small reverb could be a plate or room. Toms usually nothing (room), Kick (usually use the tunnel mic for this). On HH a different small (but little wet) reverb to separate more to the right side of the mix. OHs nothing.

In metal style it´s other words. General medium reverb (sometimes gated in release), classic plate or small room on snare and toms (up mics) high passed.

Salvation 13 said:
- I have trouble of the kick drowning in the mix. On it's own it's big and beefy but in the mix it just isn't there. I don't want to make it too clicky sounding, rather a big thump. (More of a rock-style kick than metal). Any suggestions? I know I'll have to hipass the guitars, but the bass guitar will propably go lower than the kick. I'll post clips later today.

Try boosting some between 120- 200 hz cut something between 70-80hz wiht a smallQ and cut some from 250hz in the bass. Increase the tunnel condenser mic (no tunnel? use a sample a tune it really down) and the sub kick. Use a bottom exciter hardware or maxbass plug-in. If you want a really big bottom kick you will probably need to sacrifice some bass definition.

Let´s see your mix...

best regards