Need some advice

Jordon

Sep 14, 2008
Chicago
I can't go into any of the gory details right now, but I need some advice.

I was hired to mix a band's album. I took the project because it's a band I really enjoy, it's great for my resume (presumably) and they're paying my handsomely.

I am there to strictly mix, but the band is involved in every step of the mixing process to the point where I've done 40+ revisions on just one song. Basically at this point, I'm just a hired mouse wrangler. I went from mixing to the best of my ability, to making changes to the mix that are detrimental. For example, they wanted me to suck nearly everything from 70hz down out of the kick drum, and wanted it centered around 500hz. Crazy stuff like that. They don't take my advice on the mixes at all. Originally it was "mix the album, the band will have minimal input," but the scope has changed. They've even complained about the time it's taken to get a mix. I had a damn good mix done 2 days after I had the final tracks, and that was in mid September! The label even approved of it. The mastering engineer enjoyed the mix quite a bit, as well.

At any rate, I feel like what they have made me do to these mixes has ruined them. They lack character, dynamic, punch. They're just flat and lifeless sounding. There is no way I will not see this project to the conclusion, but I'm curious if anyone has ever thought of removing their name from a potentially career-enhancing project because they were not satisfied with a product they were basically forced to (in my eyes) ruin?

I will still have editing and engineering credits, but I have been thinking for the past week about having my name removed as the mix engineer.

I don't really know what to do. I know I may be shooting myself in the foot for talking about this on this forum, but I need to get some views before I make what could possibly be a rash decision.

2 quick points.

Mix the tracks the way you feel they sound best. when they have finished ruining the versions they want, you can hold the 2 up together. If they still prefer the version they directed you to mix, then that's there call. They're just paying you to operate a mouse.. sweet!!

If you feel its not your work, you can refuse to have your name credited, and if it sounds as bad as you say, that's probably a good idea.

I'd call the label up and discuss your concerns. I certainly wouldn't want my name on it either if it's bad. Also, have a talk with the band and A/B the mixes like dale said. You can also show them another badass mix from someone else and show them how their's lacks from that.

Who the heck wants the kick centered at 500Hz? You could send a "your version" and a "band version" of one track to their A&R and see what he thinks. If he likes your mix better, especially perhaps to the point that the label wants to pressure the band into using your version, then that kind of becomes a band/label issue, and your hands are clean of it. But if the label is fine with the quality of either mix, and deems them both release-worthy, and doesn't want to pressure the band either way, then I'd say just let it go however the band wants, and the credits could say something like "Mixed by *band name*, assisted by *your name*". At least then if people think the mix sucks, they can blame the band directly, haha...

Yea, I've thought about that. The thing is, my original mix for the single in September. The label is pretty hands-off as far as production. In fact, I've had near-zero contact with them during the entire process.

Well, after another "tweak" session tonight, I guess it doesn't sound like total shit, haha. Though I still think my nice drums were ruined :(

Well, here's an update: The mastering engineer (whom I trust quite a bit) just came back to me mirroring all of my concerns about what they wanted done to the mix. We'll see what the band says.