Some help picking a guitar tone and tidying up a mix?

guitarfishbay

Sep 21, 2012
Hey guys. I'm working on a band demo and have re-amped two options to choose between. I asked the band which they prefer and only the other guitarist has a slight preference (for tone B).

or

Drop Box 320kbs MP3

For the people who use the dropbox file the second amp comes in at 1:05.

Any comments welcome, on any part of the mix. This is probably the most complicated thing I've done so far so I'm open to any suggestions for improvement.

I didn't engineer the drums, this was something tacked on to the end of a session doing a different song at a studio recently. The drums were a single take save for one or two (sadly quite obvious) overdubs due to time constraints.

This was actually the first time I've ever mixed a fully miced kit from raw files. Unfortunately, being mostly a single take a lot of the tom and snare hits were really uneven in the verse so there's a lot of sample augmentation going on - toms completely replaced, kick almost totally replaced and snare closer to 50/50. Nothing is quantized.

This WIP solo (the half time solo has been totally cut from the mix now as my bandmates disliked it!) has the original drums and amp sim guitars for reference.

We've been auditioning for a singer for a while but haven't had any luck, so we've decided to start recording some tracks anyway and seeing if that interests people more than some rehearsal recordings. We tracked another song with someone else but they've not finished their mix yet.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: