Some kids who wanted me to record them

zer0_c00l

Dec 18, 2006
Hi guys, i'm trying to earn some money with this recording business, and I just got my first clients...

Just some kids who wanted to record 2 songs for a contest, but they don't play quite well and they had only one day to record so I recorded guitars and drums at the same time (drums only with snare bass and OHs) and 2 guitar, recorded in all the 6 channels i had avaiable, then the bass, organ/synth and finally vocals all separated.

I would like to know what do you think mixwise (according to the recording circumstances, of course)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7629544/st singlemix.mp3

um... well.
sound very... homemade :p
IMO, it would sound 1000 times better, if you sampled the drums ;)
sorry to say that, but these here sound just bad.
and i realise that it's crappy performance :p
at least vocals are fine :)

btw, its clipping like hell.

Yes, i realise that I can do over 9000 times better, but only with a 4 mic drumkit, shit cymbals, crappy toms and crappy guitars i think I couldn't do much of it, and they only had one day to record, so I was only capable of doing this....

I really thought about sampling at least the kick and snare but i don't think that's really worth....

I limited at 6.2 dB and the loudest thing was the snare that was peaking like crazy, but the rest was around 5 dB... i think if I limited less than that it would sound weak....

I can do over 9000 times better

so with additional 1000 times better with sampled drums, you'll have a 10000 times better mix :Smokin:

with 6 channels it is tough to do something great indeed (unless you're a jazz producer, who record the whole band with a one soundfield mic :err: ).

Vocals sound decent, which i think is the most important part here.

cheers.

Thanks, for your words.

Are you saying it's clipping by hear or are you seeing in any meter? if you say it by ear, it must be the bass that i puts lots of distortion (though it's disguised somentimes), otherwise i don't know what it is

I've put it into DAW, and the meters are good. It occurs when the vocals come in (and in some few moments too). I meant rather kind of distortion than clipping. It may be the limiter (threshold pushed down too hard), or too much saturation (do you use any?)
Whats in the masterbus either?

In master I only used Tracks Briwall Limiter, Advanced 2 mode, +6.2 on input, 1 ms on attack, 5ms on release and -0.2 on output ceiling...

Vocals i only used a compressor with 3.7 :1 ratio 10 ms attack and 74 release

Those cymbals sound like beginner kit cymbals man, the guitar tone is super dark, the toms were played by a mouse, there isn't much you can do to save this. The vocals sound okay, the synth sounds okay too.

lol, if you had read it, you would noticed I didn't miced the toms, also he was plying very softly, guitars were miced with 57's but they sound very different because it was 2 different amps at the same time... the cymbals are worse than begginer cymbals.

Maybe in 2 weeks I get a REAL band to track, and I'll burn my eyes with the PC screen till i get it sounding BREWTAL!!

oh it was a 50€ thing....