Some oldschool doom anyone ???

Can't believe no one mentioned While Heaven Wept, great doom band!
And make sure to check out previously mentioned Doomshine and Thunderstorm...
While Heaven Wept is a band I enjoy, but I don't know if I would tag them "doom metal" as sometimes it sounds like easy listening for Doom standards :D

I also second Doomshine, Thunderstorm and Memory Garden recommandations.

Thanks be to the Godz for all these knowledgeable answers. I ask this same question somewhere else ( old school like doom) and got nothing but death doom stuff as answers. I will be checking out a lot of these bands. The old school stuff that really kicks ass IMO ~ Candlemass,Count Raven, The Obsessed, Cathedral,Place Of Skulls, Trouble, Spirit Caravan,St Vitus, Pentagram, The Hidden Hand.

Two newer bands that are heavily old school doom influenced that rock are ~
Northwinds and Areknames.

Thanks be to the Godz for all these knowledgeable answers. I ask this same question somewhere else ( old school like doom) and got nothing but death doom stuff as answers.

Well we are a school after all (the old one) :D

Welcome to UMOS

Thanks be to the Godz for all these knowledgeable answers. I ask this same question somewhere else ( old school like doom) and got nothing but death doom stuff as answers. I will be checking out a lot of these bands. The old school stuff that really kicks ass IMO ~ Candlemass,Count Raven, The Obsessed, Cathedral,Place Of Skulls, Trouble, Spirit Caravan,St Vitus, Pentagram, The Hidden Hand.

Reverend Bizarre should be right up your alley:headbang:

I just made a haul of doom: Solitude Aeturnus, Forsaken and Orodruin.

Happy Doomy Holidays :D

NP: Krux - 'Devil Sun'

Don't count out My Dying Bride just because they are not from the 70's and 80's... MDB are a great band... you can ask others about them and perhaps buy a album of their's from my suggestions....

Don't count out My Dying Bride just because they are not from the 70's and 80's... MDB are a great band... you can ask others about them and perhaps buy a album of their's from my suggestions....

I plan on checking out new and newer bands that have been suggested earlier in this thread and I may even check out MDB. I think you may have misunderstood what I said though. I'm looking for new bands with a big old school influence not bands from the 70 & 80.

Another old school doom band that rock ~ Witchfinder General

How did I forget them???

oh ok... my bad... but do get MDB... especially these two albums:

1. The Dreadful Hours

2. The Angel and the Dark River

3. Songs of Darkness, Words of Light (honorable mention because it has my fave song by them: The Wreckage of My Flesh as well as My Wine in Silence)...

oh ok... my bad... but do get MDB... especially these two albums:

1. The Dreadful Hours

2. The Angel and the Dark River

3. Songs of Darkness, Words of Light (honorable mention because it has my fave song by them: The Wreckage of My Flesh as well as My Wine in Silence)...

OK, you seem to be very passionate about them so you sold them to me for at least a listen. I'll check them out.

Just found this Belgian band who play some oldschool Doom, sounds pretty good I think. They are called Serpentcult and are only together a month or so, mostly with members of another Belgian Doom band "The Plague of Gentleman". The female vocals fit the music good I think.

www.myspace.com/serpentcult

The female vocals fit the music good I think.

www.myspace.com/serpentcult

I disagree. She would fit a nice thrash band (reminds me of Acid) but for doom I expect a deeper, sadder voice, her registry is too high.

My doom haul is on hold :bah:. John Perez has been very nice keeping me informed regarding the new SA album (an the other stuff) but it's killing me. Damn holidays are around the bend and the post service goes to hell on this time of the year. I hope I can still have that album before the end of 2006.

I disagree. She would fit a nice thrash band (reminds me of Acid) but for doom I expect a deeper, sadder voice, her registry is too high.

probably the reason I like it, it's not an all Doom band, the more clean vocals give it something more "metal" than "doom" to me maybe ...
Strange you mention Acid..before I knew the music of this band I saw a pic and told somewhere the vocalist looks a bit like Kate of Acid in the 80's....

spc.jpg

probably the reason I like it, it's not an all Doom band, the more clean vocals give it something more "metal" than "doom" to me maybe ...

Doom is metal :p. Although I agree that some doom is less doomy than other :lol: For example some Thunderstorm and Memento Mori tends to be faster than Candlemass or Solstice. In anycase I tend to epic doom instead of sludgy/funeral one.

Strange you mention Acid..before I knew the music of this band I saw a pic and told somewhere the vocalist looks a bit like Kate of Acid in the 80's....

Maybe a reincarnation? :D