Is there anything between traditional doom and death/doom?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
There seems to be a slight jump in the evolution of doom doesn't there? Based on Doom-Metal.com's history profile on doom, here's what they suggest:

A. 70's Traditional Doom -> B. 80's 'Non-existent' Doom -> C. early 90's Death/Doom -> D. late 90's Emotional Doom

Where,

A = Sabbath, Pentagram
B = Candlemass, Trouble
C = My Dying Bride, Thergothon
D = latter-Katatonia, latter-Anathema

Of course, this is a real summary of examples that I threw together from memory of what I read. In any case, the question is, are there any bands/albums that might sit comfortably between A/B and C/D?

It just seems like you go from The Obsessed, Candlemass, and St Vitus....and then all of a sudden, you're in Novembers Doom, My Dying Bride, and Mourning Beloveth territory. Don;'t get me wrong, I love both categories.

The closest I can think of as an example is early Solitude Aeturnus (thanks for that Dark Chapter). What a fucking brilliant band they are to get the 'in-between balance'. However, there must be more bands with CLEAN vocals and MOODY ATMOSPHERIC riffs and melodies, no? Anything like Serenades out there, but with clean(er) vox?

Help a bruddah out, yo.

BloodStainedWalls said:
Thats a good question. Although they are totally different and seem unrelated abit, they are related. There does seem to be a "jump."
Yeah, seriously. I think Dreamlord mentioned that death/doom is really just death played extremely slowly. So in reality, the "Peaceville Three" popped up in the early 90's and threw everything else off at a tangent. I mean, think about it, someone like My Dying Bride came from nowhere, and it's not like they even use those "proto-doom" type riffs. Pretty radical that there wasn't much of a 'stepping stone'.

JayKeeley said:
I think Dreamlord mentioned that death/doom is really just death played extremely slowly.
Well, it is. Paradise Lost's first album was more or less a death metal record that went unnoticed. THen they released 'Gothic' which was basically their debut (albeit with better songs) but slowed down considerably.

Can anyone deny that death/doom is just death metal with slow vocals and slower riffs? Of course, some bands add the violin or keyboards for added "atmosphere".

Just take Mourning Beloveth or Morgion. Both great bands, but try imagining them speeding everything up. THey'd be death metal bands.

Dreamlord said:
Just take Mourning Beloveth or Morgion. Both great bands, but try imagining them speeding everything up. THey'd be death metal bands.
Speaking of which, I only have Morgion's "Solinari", and hopefully getting their new one this week. Should I get their earlier albums?

The Mourning Beloveth song on the "In Unison" CD is excellent. And by the way, as you predicted, Scald is not my thing at all.

SOlinari is their best work IMO. The only thing before it is the EP Among Majestic Ruin, which is good, but not up to par with Solinari.

Mourning Beloveth are quite good. If you like Solinari, you'll like Dust and The SUllen Sulcus, both by MB.

hehe, didn't think you'd like Scald. It took me a while to appreciate those vocals that are a high pitch scream.

I find it hard to even come up with catagories for some of these bands. We've called ourselves everything from a Doom band, and Death/Doom band, a Metal band, a Death Metal band, a Dark metal band.... It goes on and on, depending on the song you listen to. If I had to label us as anything, we're a metal band, using dark, and emotional overtones, but vocally, we're a death metal band. Sometimes it's just too hard to place a label on a band.