Funeral doom

Ulver , they have there own sound, soo unique and talented, So doom or not, THEY KICK ASS ANYHOW =) I really like 'kLedt I nattens Farger' --soooo niceee , sit and watch the stars with :D , also Nowhere/catastrophe , has a nice flow on it. . And i haven't even heard allot of there stuff, soo, i know i'm surely missing out on other great songs from them. =\

Originally posted by The Wanderer
So, this is a doom band forum, so i figure this is appropriate (sp)..

does anyone here get into other doom bands (besides like my dying bride, paradise lost, and anathema (all great but pretty popular), specifically funeral doom bands like skepticism, shape of despair, unholy, funeral, thergothon, evoken, or doomdeath like morgion, mourning beloveth, dusk?

I'm very fond of both shape of despair and morgion, but havent heard any of the others mentioned. November's Doom style doom is much dearer to me though. The atmosphere of it is just great.

I really should visit this forum more often...

Originally posted by Triste
~ESOTERIC - this band is just fucked up! Kind of Funeral Doom, but with different samples and noises mixed in....I was listening to Metamorphogenesis one night when I was at home alone and I got so freaked out that I had to turn it off.....it's one of those bands that just makes you uneasy....

And I consider Metamorphogenesis to be their more "commercial" album. Of course, it's not commercial at all, but if you listen to their other two, that shit'll fuck you up....

As for other quality doom, GARDEN OF SHADOWS's debut was pretty damn doomy for me. Their 2nd was a bit faster, so iunno.

I do love all of SATURNUS's releases, but Martyre is a bit weak.

OCTOBER TIDE. Just beautiful.

In what I call Sludge Doom, ESOTERIC, EVOKEN, and DISEMBOWELMENT are fantastic.

yeah.

Originally posted by The Nomad
And I consider Metamorphogenesis to be their more "commercial" album. Of course, it's not commercial at all, but if you listen to their other two, that shit'll fuck you up....

Could you expand on the 'commercial' comment? And you're right....all of their albums are freaky....Hell, 'Epistemological Despondency' on headphones when you're going to sleep is a BIG no-no.....that shit will give you nightmares....if you can get to sleep at all!

Yes! I really love Blue Gallery off of 'Rain Without End' and the song that gets to me most from 'Grey Dawn' is Sweetness Dies...but both albums....oh god! pure bliss! Too bad Jonas and Co. don't want to do anymore O.T. stuff.....

I've been listening to Shape of Despair's 'Angels of Distress' a lot recently and that is just....I can't even describe how it makes me feel listening to them....I want to stab myself in the heart or something! If anyone hasn't heard this album yet....it's definitely something worth acquiring! There's a song here at mp3.com if you want a taste.....

and I don't want to nitpick :)grin: but you know I am!)....but I wouldn't really classify ESOTERIC, EVOKEN, or diSEMBOWELMENT as Sludge....I think that particular subgenre is relegated for the likes of NOOTHGRUSH or EYE HATE GOD....The three aforementioned bands (IMO) are seated firmly in the subgenre of Funeral Doom...

Originally posted by MeaCulpa
Oh well, I would classify Evoken, diSEMBOWELMENT and Esoteric as death/doom.
Funeral doom imo are bands like Funeral, Skepticism, Unholy, Thergothon and Shape of Despair.

yeah, something like that, but evoken does have some funeral parts. Thergothon rules. i've been listening to a lot of unholy too.

speaking of skepticism, i just noticed the other day that paul kuhr did the artwork for lead and ether. so, what is that on the cover?

Originally posted by The Wanderer
yeah, something like that, but evoken does have some funeral parts. Thergothon rules. i've been listening to a lot of unholy too.

speaking of skepticism, i just noticed the other day that paul kuhr did the artwork for lead and ether. so, what is that on the cover?

It's a picture of Lead and Aether.... silly.

I did the cover for ethere as well.

Seriously, Its just altered pictures the band sent. It's not really supposed to be anything, other then strange.

Doom metal is my passion. All the bands you guys named made me want to rummage through my cd collection for some listening!

I don't think anyone mentioned Celestial Season (if you did, I must have missed the post) They are great, gotta have violins and cellos in doom! :D

My favorite doom bands are Saturnus, Unholy, My Dying Bride, damn, I could go on forever, but I will spare you all!

Originally posted by Triste
Originally posted by The Nomad

Could you expand on the 'commercial' comment? And you're right....all of their albums are freaky....Hell, 'Epistemological Despondency' on headphones when you're going to sleep is a BIG no-no.....that shit will give you nightmares....if you can get to sleep at all!
By "commercial" I mean that it is more like normal doom-death. It's faster and not quite as sonically 'empty'. It's more accessible and not as scary as their other albums.

Yes! I really love Blue Gallery off of 'Rain Without End' and the song that gets to me most from 'Grey Dawn' is Sweetness Dies...but both albums....oh god! pure bliss! Too bad Jonas and Co. don't want to do anymore O.T. stuff.....
The end of Sweetness Dies just tears my heart apart.. Just fantastic. And I do love the beginning of the title track... I never could really get into Rain Without End, but that's because I always had GD in...

and I don't want to nitpick :)grin: but you know I am!)....but I wouldn't really classify ESOTERIC, EVOKEN, or diSEMBOWELMENT as Sludge....I think that particular subgenre is relegated for the likes of NOOTHGRUSH or EYE HATE GOD....The three aforementioned bands (IMO) are seated firmly in the subgenre of Funeral Doom...
Well, I never heard the term Funeral Doom until I read this thread. And I never listened to Noothgrush or EHG, so I can't even say if those would fit in my conception of Sludge Doom.
I'm not saying my friends and I are pioneers, but we thought up the Sludge Doom term to describe those bands because the music just feels like your trudging through molasses.

ah well...