Funeral doom

The Wanderer

Watcher of the Storm
So, this is a doom band forum, so i figure this is appropriate (sp)..

does anyone here get into other doom bands (besides like my dying bride, paradise lost, and anathema (all great but pretty popular), specifically funeral doom bands like skepticism, shape of despair, unholy, funeral, thergothon, evoken, or doomdeath like morgion, mourning beloveth, dusk?

Originally posted by The Wanderer
So, this is a doom band forum, so i figure this is appropriate (sp)..

does anyone here get into other doom bands (besides like my dying bride, paradise lost, and anathema (all great but pretty popular), specifically funeral doom bands like skepticism, shape of despair, unholy, funeral, thergothon, evoken, or doomdeath like morgion, mourning beloveth, dusk?

I love Morgion, they're an amazing band. Skepticism is also great, but requires a special mood to listen to them. Unholy is killer as well.

I have never heard Dusk, but I hear a lot about them.

I really don't know what the heck type of music they are, but a little-known band called Arcane Sun released (I think) only 1 record in 1998 (s/t) and it is absolutely incredible. It's kind of doomy/death stuff, maybe closest to early MDB or Paradise Lost.

Arcane Sun is amazing. I like Shape of Despair as well. Morgion is great. I also love Mindrot, who are similar to Morgion.

adrain from mindrot is now in morgion.... so that will rule... cuz i think adrain is one of the best vocalist for this style there is....mindrot owned!!!

shape of despair is good... the first dolorian album is real good.... and ive been getting into 70's stuff like pentagram and bloodrock alot lately.... and trouble always rules

Originally posted by turnloosetheswans
adrain from mindrot is now in morgion.... so that will rule... cuz i think adrain is one of the best vocalist for this style there is....mindrot owned!!!

shape of despair is good... the first dolorian album is real good.... and ive been getting into 70's stuff like pentagram and bloodrock alot lately.... and trouble always rules

I'm quite bummed about this. Jeremy has an amazing voice, and i'm not sure this band will be quite the same. We shall see....

Originally posted by Novembers Paul

I'm quite bummed about this. Jeremy has an amazing voice, and i'm not sure this band will be quite the same. We shall see....

i'm with you there. I was never really into mindrot...but i heard some secret ninja mp3s of the new morgion stuff and he sounded good on the vox. we'll see. but i agree, jeremy was fuckin amazing.

shape of despair is awesome, also really like dolorians first album, but the new one is kinda of blah. vocals aren't nearly as cool.

I'm into Shape of Despair very much. Morgion is also very good.

Is anyone into Saturnus here? Their debut 'Paradise Belongs to You' is perhaps the greatest piece of Doom.

Or Yearning? 1997 'With Tragedies Adorned' could be described as funeral doom, and it's one of the most underrated albums/bands, methinks...

I'm not by any stretch of the imagination an expert on this type of metal, but I'm currently listening to Anathema: Pentecost III and it's mind-blowingly heavy. Just a different kind of heavy. Is all Anathema like this, does anyone know?

No.

As in no, it's not all like that. Maybe someone on the Anathema board could steer you best? I have heard the Pentecost III EP, and thought it was okay. I think I preferred Silent Enigma; it's a bit more memorable as far as melodies. I haven't really heard the ones before Pentecost III. Alternative 4 is probably my fave; that or Silent Enigma. Alt. 4 is where he took vocal lessons and started singing really well. Interesting music on that one.

Originally posted by markgugs
I'm not by any stretch of the imagination an expert on this type of metal, but I'm currently listening to Anathema: Pentecost III and it's mind-blowingly heavy. Just a different kind of heavy. Is all Anathema like this, does anyone know?

No way! After Pentecost III, the vocalist was kicked out, and replaced by Vincent Cavanaugh, one of the guitarist. Next came Silent Enigma, which was still very heavy, but with cleaner vocals. Then came Eternity and Alternative 4 which fetures the bands more Floydian tendencies. THese two albums are not doom at all, but very atmospheric. Most of the songs are very soft, with all soothing clean vocals. Judgment came next, being extremely good and picking up the pace into complete Pink Floyd worship, pretty much. A Fine Day to Exit reveals no 'metal' at all, being progressive rock.

Before Pentecost III, there was Serenades(the debut), which is heavy doom like Pentecost III

Originally posted by Novembers Paul

i could never get into jeremy's vocals... morgion always bored me and i kinda thought it was him... i was always more pro mindrot and i think adrian has one of the best voices fer that style[along with ya pal].... the dawning record still remains one of my favorites ever

@turnloosetheswans: Dawning is my favorite Mindrot album as well.

Soul is very good, but I always felt it lacked the bottom heavy feeling of Dawning.

Of course I have the debut MCD Forlorn and it features only one new(old) song. All others are on Dawning, but Forlorn is good as a novelty I guess.

Originally posted by Steve420
Tristania, most underrated doom band ever.

I don't think Tristania are doom. They are more gothic styled. Personally, I think they are over-rated, but just my opinion.

Originally posted by turnloosetheswans

i could never get into jeremy's vocals... morgion always bored me and i kinda thought it was him... i was always more pro mindrot and i think adrian has one of the best voices fer that style[along with ya pal].... the dawning record still remains one of my favorites ever

You know, I don't think i've ever heard Mindrot. I'll have to check them out.

Unholy fukin rule!!!!! Dunno what's happened to them at the mo? Maybe they did too much smack and finally lost it! They used to be my fave doom band! Thergothon and Esoteric are pretty fucked up too! Avernus are my faves at the moment!!

I've got all Saturnus's recordings and they are fucking awesome!! For the Loveless Lonely Nights just shows how good they actually are!! Their live performances are out of this world, I just wish I could've been at the Roskilde festival at that moment!!:Smokin: