Funeral doom

Originally posted by Abigor
I've got all Saturnus's recordings and they are fucking awesome!! For the Loveless Lonely Nights just shows how good they actually are!! Their live performances are out of this world, I just wish I could've been at the Roskilde festival at that moment!!:Smokin:

I agree, I think saturnus is a great band. The vocals on Martyre were a bit odd for me, but overall, the band is great.

Its funny to see someone say Tristania is the most underrated band.....seems like everywhere I turn they are being praised left and right. And I personally don't care much for them honestly. But, they seem to have quite a following so obviously they're doing something right.
I have to admit to not really having properly sat down and listened to Saturnus. I know Eric and Paul are both into them, and I have heard their cds because of them. I will have to pick some up at some point.

@The Wonderer: Yearning are from Finland, they have released 3 albums on Holy Records:
'With Tragedies Adorned'(1997)
'Plaintive Scenes'(1999)
'Frore Meadow'(2001)
The debut is the heaviest, the 'Scenes' way 'out there', including avantgarde/symphonic/progressive doom(my favorite, sounds like if Arcturus played doom on La Masquerade instead of black);the latest is the 'catchiest'......
more info on browse.to/yearning for samples etc.

@NvmbrsDoom5: check out their lyrics, they are both poetic & philosophical/thoughtful - 'Paradise Belongs to You'(Euphonious Records,1997) is a great album to start with(it hasn't the 'odd' vocals, just pure growls(IMO the best I've ever heard) and lovelorn-spoken words a la NvmbrsDm;) )
www.saturnus.dk

cheerz

Originally posted by Abigor
Unholy fukin rule!!!!! Dunno what's happened to them at the mo? Maybe they did too much smack and finally lost it! They used to be my fave doom band! Thergothon and Esoteric are pretty fucked up too! Avernus are my faves at the moment!!

unholy are really good for sure. they recently broke up though, which is sad. i really liked gracefallen and hte second ring of power.

tristania? doom: hahahaha
underrated? even funnier.

Yeah, I had a burn of Saturnus' Paradies Belongs to You a while back, but have since lost it. I originally got a tape of it from a friend when it came out, and lived on that for a long time. I haven't gotten any of their stuff since then, though; I heard the EP with the live stuff on it and Martyre a couple times, but Paradise is one of those I just need to break down and buy.

well a lot of the bands that I would have suggested have already been mentioned, but I will second a few and mention a few more (sorry if this is Doom Metal information overload, but it's my favorite genre of metal)....

~SATURNUS - Paradise Belongs to You.....a great, emotional deathdoom album...beautiful heartfelt lyrics...I also like their other releases 'For Those Loveless Lonely Nights' and 'Martyre'...Martyre definitely takes some getting used to (the vocals mostly) especially if you have heard PBTY, but still a great album

~ESOTERIC - this band is just fucked up! Kind of Funeral Doom, but with different samples and noises mixed in....I was listening to Metamorphogenesis one night when I was at home alone and I got so freaked out that I had to turn it off.....it's one of those bands that just makes you uneasy....

~PARAMAECIUM - (Christian!!) Death Doom from Australia....some of the ugliest riffs I have ever heard....

~OFFICIUM TRISTE - Get 'Ne Vivam' great death doom

~CORRUPTED - from JAPAN....great doom with lyrics in Spanish!

and to give my local scene some props...ASUNDER are an awesome band from Oakland, CA....along the lines of Crestfallen era ANATHEMA but their newer stuff is heavy, heavier, heaviest....go to www.lifeisabuse.com (the mp3 section) for some samples

GRIEF - Misanthropic, selfhate sludge.....there's also an mp3 on lifeisabuse

and for some reason Finnish bands know what the hell is up with doom metal:
~THERGOTHON - (also check out THIS EMPTY FLOW which has two members from Thergothon....along the lines of THE CURE - Disintegration)

~UNHOLY - all of their albums are worth getting but my favorite is probably 'Rapture'

~SKEPTICISM - straight up funeral doom

~SHAPE OF DESPAIR - Shades of.... is also a great pick....this album is all written in 3/4 timing...Funeral Waltz anyone? Their newest album (Angels of Distress) is of notable attention as well)

~RAPTURE - not necessarily doom metal but still excellent. I've heard a lot of people compare it to earlier KATATONIA....gHas (or actually had) one of the guitarists from SHAPE....

Now go out and buy, buy, buy!!!!

P.S. 1) TRISTANIA are NOT doom metal (more along the lines of gothic metal)
and 2) They suck!

Ah ,EVEREVE also did an Excellent make of ' the house of the rising sun' .. heh, one of myy favs as well.. check them out if you haven't. .. Forest of shadows is great doom metal.. they haven't done a whole lot.. But they are excellent. , Oh and i am going to look up Arcane sun. Any know of a website, or if the are on kazaa? . thanks. Cheers.

Yeah, Evereve are cool! I bought Stormbirds a while back just cos it was cheap as chips! I was well impressed with it, especially "Fields of Ashes". I wouldn't really call it doom though, I reckon it's more gothic/black metal.

Another doom band I recommend are Dawn of Dreams from Austria, high quality orchestral gothic doom. I love these guys!! Check em out! Amber and Fragments are two albums to look out for!

I like Morgion and Evoken a lot!!! Slow-paced funeral doom at their best.

Originally posted by The Wanderer

does anyone here get into other doom bands (besides like my dying bride, paradise lost, and anathema (all great but pretty popular), specifically funeral doom bands like skepticism, shape of despair, unholy, funeral, thergothon, evoken, or doomdeath like morgion, mourning beloveth, dusk?

Yes! Yes! Yes! Me! Me! :) :)

The heavier and slower the better. Can't help it, I even like drone.

Originally posted by NvmbrsDoom5
Has anyone heard anything regarding the supposed Winter reunion? I had read a few things here and there a while back, but then I haven't heard anything more. I'm very interested in that.

i heard that too, and that evoken was supposed to play the show with them. it seems unclear now whether or not they are doing the reunion or the show at all. if you go to evoken's forum on doom-metal.com, there is a thread about it.

http://www.doom-metal.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?;act=SF;f=17