Favorite Doom Metal bands

Angeleyes Part II said:
:lol: Your always welcome to come over..however.. I doubt you'd ever find me in London...try Amsterdam..:p

Oh, are you from there? I just assumed london cause of the huge number of awesome concerts that make me jealous. I am definitely thinking of trying to move to europe at some point in the not-too-distant future, and it doesn't hurt to know which locations get the best shows :)

@Larry: Wow that would be awsome to see both of you,playing a gig together!..
And your fiance,has good musical taste..:) But if I'm correct Anathema is without a recordlabel or something atm..am I right? If this is true,how can such things possibly happen,who wouldn't wanna sign 'm up?

wankerness said:
Oh, are you from there? I just assumed london cause of the huge number of awesome concerts that make me jealous. I am definitely thinking of trying to move to europe at some point in the not-too-distant future, and it doesn't hurt to know which locations get the best shows :)

:) Yep,and we have a huge amount of great bands performing here in Holland thru the whole year! Besides Belgium is near..I went to Graspop last year..this Summer I go to Wacken!!...I'm one of those ppl who wanna see Emperor..there! i've said it...

Not sure if Anathema's problem is that noone wants to sign them. It could just as likely be that they're waiting for someone to really offer the right deal. There are alot of labels I'm sure that are interested, but whether they're willing to give Anathema everything they deserve is another matter. After all these years, I'm sure Anathema know a thing or two about the industry and aren't going to be too quick to just sign any ol' deal. They'll sign with someone eventually, when the time and situation is right.

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
Not sure if Anathema's problem is that noone wants to sign them. It could just as likely be that they're waiting for someone to really offer the right deal. There are alot of labels I'm sure that are interested, but whether they're willing to give Anathema everything they deserve is another matter. After all these years, I'm sure Anathema know a thing or two about the industry and aren't going to be too quick to just sign any ol' deal. They'll sign with someone eventually, when the time and situation is right.

Yeah, their problem isn't that they can't get a record deal, Peaceville or someone would obviously take them in five seconds. They're just trying to aim bigger I guess. It's too bad they can't get a better one, but at the same time I can't really sympathize TOO much with them just not being able to get as much money as they want (unless they've got starving children or don't have day jobs or something).

affinityband said:
Roadrunner seems to be picking up extreme of bands at the moment. Opeth, satyricon being the 2 latest. I think they would be wise to get Anathema on their roster.

I Agree it would add a touch of diversity to their label although they are metal based label...so I dont see it happening.

I'll be surprised if an American label signs them. Perhaps the European offices of Roadrunner might be interested in them. But Anathema has received little to no support from the industry over here, in general. A shame, but it's true.

I think Judgement and Alt 4 were their best albums. It was a bit of bummer on the last 2 albums, seeing as they were one of my favorite bands.. I saw what they were doing, but to me seemed a bit un-inspired. I loved serenades for the time and what they were doing, but the quality was just so much better on the 2 i mentioned. the song structures, the progressions the bulids, brilliant! I too agree with the comment about Duncan, I really think he brought a lot to the table.

Angeleyes Part II said:
Would ND sign up with Roadrunner,if ya guys get the opportunity? :)

Honestly it would all depend on what kind of deal they'd offer. The deal that The End worked out with us was perfect for our needs, so we've no qualms about staying put where we're at. But as far as that whole thing that people get uptight about the idea of signing to a "sellout" label like Roadrunner, we don't care about that shit. Ultimately it would all just depend on what they had to offer in terms of future plans, and what our distribution would be like, etc. The End Records are a label who pay attention to their bands regardless of "stature" and they are also known for planning well into the future with their bands, which many labels don't, or won't, bother with.

As for Anathema, I think that it's logical that they should, at this juncture in their lives and careers, be trying to shoot for a deal that will get them as much money and support as possible. If we were able to make a living doing this, you'd better believe I'd be all for it. Not all of us want to work day jobs if we don't have to, and for a band like Anathema who do tour (though not over here) and spend weeks or months in the studio, it can be pretty difficult keeping a steady job at the same time. Even we've had those kinds of conflicts....don't even get me started, lol.

dan of bereavement said:
I think Judgement and Alt 4 were their best albums. It was a bit of bummer on the last 2 albums, seeing as they were one of my favorite bands.. I saw what they were doing, but to me seemed a bit un-inspired. I loved serenades for the time and what they were doing, but the quality was just so much better on the 2 i mentioned. the song structures, the progressions the bulids, brilliant! I too agree with the comment about Duncan, I really think he brought a lot to the table.

Haha, yeah, I used to be on the anathema news group and half the time all they did was make fun of Dave Pybus (the replacement bassist on Judgement, he later had a stint in Cradle of Filth). He really did add almost NOTHING to judgement, while Alternative 4 had a bunch of bass driven songs (especially the title track). Whoever the current guy is isn't much more exciting than Pybus, either. Oh well, I still like their last three a lot.

I'm going to see Katatonia on the 21st at Bradford Rios :headbang:

No idea where this 5hrs thing has come from but I can't see them playing for longer than 90-120 mins.

This whole 'Doom' thing has got me really puzzled to be honest... I was reading a Doom thread on another board and it went off into all sorts of directions... stoner doom? drone doom? death doom?... I mean come on.. wtf?

Some bands I like would appear to fall under the overall catagory of 'doom' but all those sub-genres make my head spin :lol:

My Dying Bride were my entrance to doom and whilst it did take me some time to appreciate certain aspects of their music at first, what did grab me was the way they could go from some crazy almost death metal stuff into pieces of wonderfully emotional musics with great lyrics to match. This led me to the likes of Anathema, Katatonia and Novembers Doom and I will no doubt check out other bands as the years go by. Must say though... as good as early Anathema & Katatonia was - I do prefer their more recent works but still find a lot to admire in their early stuff. I gave 'Brave Yester Days' a run through(both discs) the other day and it was great :)

Vambo said:
I'm going to see Katatonia on the 21st at Bradford Rios :headbang:

No idea where this 5hrs thing has come from but I can't see them playing for longer than 90-120 mins.

This whole 'Doom' thing has got me really puzzled to be honest... I was reading a Doom thread on another board and it went off into all sorts of directions... stoner doom? drone doom? death doom?... I mean come on.. wtf?

Some bands I like would appear to fall under the overall catagory of 'doom' but all those sub-genres make my head spin :lol:

I hope you enjoy the gig,tell us how it was ok..:)

I agree 90 - 120 mins sounds reasonable,with Novembre playing say 30-40 mins before.. 5 hours Katatonia would most likely make me fall a sleep..:p

I happen to read that same stuff too..:lol: I believe it was in the General Discussion forum,and like you,I had no idea what those ppl were talking about,I've never,never heard of drone/stoner whatever doom,and still after goiing thru the thread,I don't get it!!...I already have a hard time to place certain bands in whatever catagory,I wonder where does names come from tho?... Isn't it all about music,and the bands creating it? ;)

Angeleyes Part II said:
. Isn't it all about music,and the bands creating it? ;)

I hope so :)

I fully understand that sometimes a general 'label' or description of a bands music helps to market a band amongst fans who might appreciate a bands output but it seems to me that sub-genres just confuse matters and actually put off people from buying an album they would otherwise enjoy purely because it's not the 'exact' kind of music they feel they should be listening to.

Oh,I agree..:)

Personally,I often blind buy,or purchase an album which was either reccomended to me,or when I heard a sample or whatever,it's so much more fun,and so far i haven't been dissapointed at all!!..Actually i do the same with gigs sometimes,just out of curiosity,although it's abit more harder,cause not every band sounds good live,but still I enjoy it alot..:)

Vambo said:
I hope so :)

I fully understand that sometimes a general 'label' or description of a bands music helps to market a band amongst fans who might appreciate a bands output but it seems to me that sub-genres just confuse matters and actually put off people from buying an album they would otherwise enjoy purely because it's not the 'exact' kind of music they feel they should be listening to.

I agree with you completely. It's in my estimation that, at this point in our career, the whole "doom" tag tends to hurt us more than help us. Since the release of "The Pale Haunt Departure", I cannot even begin to count the number of people who've approached me or written to me, and said that they would normally have not listened to us because they "don't really like doom metal", but they love what we do because, obviously, we've got alot more going on in our music than just doom. Of course having the word "doom" in your name doesn't help matters much. We're very adamant about not wanting to be pigeonholed into the "doom" category, or even "doom/death"....not because we dislike that music or their respective scenes. But simply because there's just so much more going on in our music that I know could possibly appeal to fans outside of those aforementioned scenes.
I think the whole sub-genre labelling thing is getting so out of hand because it's just getting harder and harder to really categorize bands nowadays. Whether it's a band like us, or Opeth, or Subterranean Masquerade, or Green Carnation, or Arcturus, or Katatonia, etc. etc......these are bands that all defy simple categorization.
Labelling and categorizing bands might help people when searching for and purchasing music, sure. But let's face it, nowadays it's easier than ever to just do a couple clicks of the mouse and find some music samples and information on a new band. It's rare that you really have to "blind buy" anything anymore because the information and music is out there to sample beforehand, and usually for free.

When people ask what kind of band we are, I usually say things like "dark, moody, atmospheric metal" or something along those lines, than just saying "Oh we're death metal" or "oh we're doom metal".

Yeah, the "Doom" tag is indeed a limited type of label. But, it all depends. I wouldn't say that we are just doom. But again up here in Boston, it's all metal core and grind core with an ocasional blackmetal band. From personal experiance, I think it is harder without the labels. We just played in N.Y. this Friday, we didn't know what the other bands sounded like before hand. But I know that all the kids left/walked away, after the first/second song, because you cant dance or beat people up to our music. Well if I had known the type of bands that we were playing with, we probably wouldn't have agreed to play down there. 5 hours and a few 100 bucks later, it seems not worth the trip.

Some people with half a mind can still stand there and watch if the band is obviously talented though. Maybe they wont listen to the cds, but they should appreciate what you guys are doing if you play live.
Id kill to see Rose for a dying muse to be played live. what a song.

Hahahah, Me and my friend Mark absoloutley love you guys ( He fucking loves ND tooo, more than i do!) You should so play over here. I would cry with joy if i heard rose. Little cunts that saw you guys the other night dont no what they are missing.