Favorite Doom Metal bands

Wolftribe said:
TPHD is more grim and kvlt!

jk

Actually, that's pretty much true. There's little of the gorgeous guitar harmonies like on "Torn," "Broken," "The Day I Return," etc from the previous couple albums. So of course this will scare off the womenfolk :)

Hmmm, not sure how I feel about that statement actually. Everyone is entitled to see and hear things in their own ways, of course....I think songs like "Autumn Reflection", "Through a Childs Eyes", "Dead Leaf Echo", and many parts of other songs on TPHD have some of the most gorgeous, appealing guitar parts we've ever done, and I've had plenty of female fans show their enthusiasm for those songs I mentioned.
If it's a matter of having those more lighter type of moments with the female vocals and jangle of songs like "Torn" or the end of "Broken", then yeah, that's not something we focus much on anymore, or deliver in the same way as we did before. It's okay, with every evolution or change that occurs, there are people who can't move forward with you, that's to be expected. Like I said before, better that they were once a fan than never a fan.

Besides, this just makes me want to be even more ball stomping metal than ever, muwahahhaaa....>:)

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
Hmmm, not sure how I feel about that statement actually. Everyone is entitled to see and hear things in their own ways, of course....I think songs like "Autumn Reflection", "Through a Childs Eyes", "Dead Leaf Echo", and many parts of other songs on TPHD have some of the most gorgeous, appealing guitar parts we've ever done, and I've had plenty of female fans show their enthusiasm for those songs I mentioned.
If it's a matter of having those more lighter type of moments with the female vocals and jangle of songs like "Torn" or the end of "Broken", then yeah, that's not something we focus much on anymore, or deliver in the same way as we did before. It's okay, with every evolution or change that occurs, there are people who can't move forward with you, that's to be expected. Like I said before, better that they were once a fan than never a fan.

Besides, this just makes me want to be even more ball stomping metal than ever, muwahahhaaa....>:)

Well, it's not devoid of harmonies entirely, it just seems less harmonically thick than the previous two and more dark and rough&tumble. I really like those three you mentioned, "Dead Leaf Echo" especially, but I still say that overall it's more 'kvlt' or whatever, haha. Like the first song is pretty much just SMASHSMASH while the closest thing to a SMASHSMASH song on the previous album was probably "Not the Strong" which still had the interlude with all the harmonies and such. Sorry if this sounds like a criticism or something I'm just saying how the album sounds to me! I'll still buy your next cd as soon as it's available, just like I did with the last two :)

I think I understand a bit more what you're saying. It's definitely true, TPHD has much more of the aggression and "chunk" and straight-forward drive than the previous disc. For that we make no apologies because that was very much something we were aware of when recording TPHD, and we decided that it was how we wanted the cd to sound, because that's where our heads were (and still are) at. After years of doing music that was more ethereal in vibe and with more of the softer, slower, as you say "progressive" like feel, we felt the need to bring out more of the metal in us, because truth is, that's what we are...a metal band, first and foremost. With new young blood in the band, it just added to that fact. One thing that has been nice is that, over the years we've managed to attract certain fans who aren't necessarily the biggest fans of our heavier metal side, but they can find and appreciate other aspects of our music, whether it be a "Torn" or "Though A Childs Eyes" or what have you. I understand this, and I'm frankly quite appreciative of those kinds of fans because it adds a nice diversity to our fanbase. I don't expect them or anyone to love everything we do, because it's a fact that we don't follow just one narrow musical sound or style, so inevitably there's going to be things that will appeal to some people, and some things that won't.
But personally, I think now we have a near perfect balance of heavy and light, brutal and soft, etc., than we ever did before. So I stand strong by the current sound of the band and the sound on TPHD.

Well reading Wankerness words about "scare off the womenfolk" i guess when i got the album yesterday (it was the last one and only album available..i guess it was there just waiting for me..:),i was preparing myself for the worsed thing to happen..
But really guys what a beautiful album,i know i can't compare it yet with any of your other albums,but i promise i will do as Larry told me..I love Pauls voice ..very strong but also very warm..,gives me goosebumps..the guitars.. everything... just falls into the right pieces..i love the song TPHD..Swallowed By The Sun...*sigh* but "Autumn Reflections and "Through A Child's Eyes" are jewels to listen too...
Count me in as a new fan...i honestly hope i get the chance to see and hear you guys playing live one day...well that's my two cents..not much..but atleast sincere..:)

The sadly broken up YOB. The Illusion of Motion took Electric Wizard's Dopethrone of the top of my doom/stoner/sludge list.

And since this is ND's forum... I was relistening to TPHD after having it not fully click for me when I first got it and man... it clicked.

"SQUALOR BRINGS THE INSECTS..."

I can't for a second understand how anyone can critizise ND for becoming more heavy and riff-driven. Every other band seem to move away from that direction, and that sucks. The more Death Metal-influence, the better IMO.

Just a matter of personal preference I guess. Some people don't like the heavier stuff, and that's okay. The point is that we (the band) are enjoying playing the heavy stuff, so as long as we're happy with what we're doing that's what matters most.

And you're right, it does seem to be more common that bands tend to lighten up their sound as they get older. That just doesn't seem to be the way we work I guess!

We'll always have the "heavy but sensitive" vibe present in our music, no worries there. That's just a part of who we are. We'll never turn into Cannibal Corpse, don't worry lol (That's not a slight against CC, I do like some of their material actually, particularly the last few cds.)

Keeping on the whole subject of other doom metal bands though, in this month's issue of DECIBEL (with Lacuna Coil on the cover), there's a fairly lengthy article about the legacy and making of My Dying Bride's "Turn Loose The Swans", which features new interviews with every member of MDB from that lineup. It's a good read.

affinityband said:
Id check out katatonia also, its not Doom now, but they are still an awesome band that has some very melancholic parts.

Oh,I agree and I can't wait to see them play live the 12th of may for the first time...suport act is Novembre...It is said Katatonia will play for 5 hours,isn't that a bit long? Maybe it's just a rumour we'll see...:)