Favorite Doom Metal bands

Dragons may be more "kvlt", but the scarecrow has a special meaning to it (at least in terms of our artwork and why we used it.)

As for what to call us, we're dark moody death metal, I guess. Nowadays I just say death metal or even just metal. I don't really want to call us anything. Bands like Katatonia, Opeth, Moonspell, Amorphis...you could label them as so many different things. I'd like to think we're along those lines too.

As for more news about the new album......there's not much to tell. It's being written, we're working harder than ever on it and it's quite a challenge. We're looking to record in late summer. Should be out by early 2007. As for what it'll sound like, you'll have to wait and see ;) At this point I don't think even we know absolutely for sure what it's going to sound like. It all goes through so many changes throughout the writing and recording process.

Here is my take on the ND sound. I am a power metal fan who greatly appreciates what ND do. The reason why I love ND is a combination of the moody music and Paul's vocals. Unlike many death metal and death / doom bands, Paul's growls are 100% audible. That makes quite a difference and separates the harsh vocals from all the generic "Cookie Monster" death metal.

The songs are beautifully haunting!

Never heard dissection been meaning to get their suppossed classic, 'Storm of Lights Bane' for a long time.

Ok,so i checked out the website and listened to the songs available,and i haven't got a clue which album to buy first..honestly..so i could use some help here..just give me some sincere advise..and i will just buy blind..which i often do and let myself be suprised..which is more fun anyway..:)

Honestly, I think the best advice is to purchase "The Pale Haunt Departure" first, because it's the closest representation of who the band is currently, and it's a really good mixture of older ND style and newer musical paths. It's got a little bit of everything on it. From there, just work your way backwards through the catalog.

Angeleyes Part II said:
Ok,so i checked out the website and listened to the songs available,and i haven't got a clue which album to buy first..honestly..so i could use some help here..just give me some sincere advise..and i will just buy blind..which i often do and let myself be suprised..which is more fun anyway..:)

I'd say "To Welcome the Fade," either that or "The Knowing" is my favorite, and all my friends like TWTF but loathe most of the other stuff :erk: Therefore it's probably the most accessible? It's the most melodic and has the most sensuous guitars ever recorded so I'd probably recommend it first too.

NOT THAT I'M TRYING TO DISAGREE WITH A BAND MEMBER OR ANYTHING

Depends what mood I'm in...but here's a few of my faves..

While Heaven Wept
Orphanage
My Dying Bride
Warhorse
Confessor
Katatonia (both old and new)
Dawn of Winter
Khanate
Septic Flesh
Depresy
Rotting Christ (their old material is doom to me..)
Dolorian
etc. etc. etc.

Withersoul said:
Rotting Christ (their old material is doom to me..)

This is an excellent point. Doom is different for different people. I don't think it's about distortion, or downtuned guitar, who vocal style, or even sub-genre of "doom." For me, it's about the emotion. I love dark depressing music, regardless of what people label it as.

Well that is one thing that has turned me off to the doom metal scene in general, the fact that it's fans seem to spend much more time arguing and debating over what constitutes being called "doom", it's just gotten to be so ridiculous. The problem (if you can call it that) with doom is that it's a genre of music which is based on a feeling and emotion, moreso I think than almost any other form of metal or hard rock. There really isn't any one absolute defining feature to being doom metal that everyone can agree on 100%. Some doom is really slow, and some isn't. Some tune really low and use alot of distortion, some tune to regular pitch and use a more normal rock guitar sound. Some have guttural vocals, some have clean vocals, some even have higher pitched vocals (like Trouble, or Confessor). Some are really simplistic and blues scale based, and some are much more complex. Bands such as Trouble, Candlemass, Winter, My Dying Bride, Skepticism, Katatonia, Opeth....all have been considered by some to be worthy of the "doom" tag. Just think about how incredibly diverse and different those bands are from one another! Not to mention the number of songs by artists who aren't really considered to be doom rock or doom metal, but are still extremely doomy songs. I just think people get so worried about what to call things, what to label things as. Who the fuck cares? I know people say it's important to know how to describe things and label things, but I think it just goes too far, people get too wrapped up in it and too divided over it.

Novembers Paul said:
This is an excellent point. Doom is different for different people. I don't think it's about distortion, or downtuned guitar, who vocal style, or even sub-genre of "doom." For me, it's about the emotion. I love dark depressing music, regardless of what people label it as.
This is also what people constitute as "good" music....like when I would play ND at work and people would look at me and say "You spent money on this shit?"
Of course I would laugh and say "If this is defined as shit, then bury my nose in it!" That would usually get then to go away! :p
Oh, and I have taken it upon myself to have stolen ND's phrase "dark metal" to explain to people what kind of music I listen to...Most just look at me like o_O ....ah, the Top 40 listeners of today LOL

Oh,i agree with both of you...personally i react very,very sensitive listening to music and lyrics (as i find lyrics also really important in a song)...Hell it can even make me cry...and 9 out of 10 times i have know idea what/which genre of the metalscene a band belongs too..it's all about the music their create,it has to touch my innerself..my soul..i couldn't care less what other ppl think of it,it's about what i like and what it does to me,ofcourse it's a good thing if one can discuss it with ppl who have the similar musictaste as someone else ..
Besides their's so much wonderful music "old as well as new",still out there to explore..
I also enjoy for example Raison D'etre..Sephiroth..In Slaughter Natives..and many..many more but don't ask me what label should be put on their music.all i know it's dark.i honestly have no idea...that doesnt necessarily mean i have to have all their albums or whatever ok..sometimes i like a few songs of a certain band in other times their complete work they created
I hope my post make any sense in what i try to say..since English isn't my first language..it's somewhat difficult to find the right words to express feelings or thoughts..oh well...ya just have to do with it,i guess..:)

@Wankerness: Thanks for youre advice,but i think i'd go for "TPHD" you can think of it this way..If I DON'T!! like the album,it's gonna be Larry's ass kicked not yours..;)

Angeleyes Part II said:
@Wankerness: Thanks for youre advice,but i think i'd go for "TPHD" you can think of it this way..If I DON'T!! like the album,it's gonna be Larry's ass kicked not yours..;)

Haha, fair enough. Just don't give up on them if you don't like it that much, it's my second or third least favorite of their 5 main albums (SORRY GUYS! IT'S NOT BAD BY ANY MEANS!). And my female friend that's somewhat into metal (mainly more proggy stuff like Opeth, Pain of Salvation though) absolutely loves TWTF and loathes TPHD...maybe it's too rough for feminine ears? :D

People are funny. The differences really between TWTF and TPHD are mostly so subtle. I think the biggest difference is just the overall sound, with TPHD having a more brutal sound overall, and the lack of female vocals on TPHD. The idea of someone "loathing" the one but loving the other is funny to me. Then again I don't understand what the hell most people are thinking anyways. Glad she likes at least one of our albums though LOL

The current Terrorizer magazine has the first of their three part feature on doom metal. I recommend picking it up.

Also, try www.doom-metal.com for those interested in all things doom, including a great set of forums.

As for my favourites:

My Dying Bride
Paradise Lost (early)
Anathema (early)
Saturnus
Shape of Despair
Skepticism, amongst others.

So, really nothing new there, but good doom is good doom I guess.