Favorite Doom Metal bands

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
And you're right, it does seem to be more common that bands tend to lighten up their sound as they get older. That just doesn't seem to be the way we work I guess!

I'm really glad that you guys work that way. Not to mention that you're building a great range of songs to play in a live setting when you mix up the TPHD material with the moody, slow stuff.

I'd love to see Katatonia play, however I'm skeptical about the five hours bit. They'd have to play their last five albums in their entirety wouldn't they? lol Not sure if and when they'll be touring over here, but at least I have the live dvd from the boxset to watch.

Katatonia is another one of those bands that sometimes gets categorized as doom, and many argue with it. I think alot of the mood in their songs, whether fast or slow, has a very doomy feel to it, so I can understand why some would label them as such. Though they too have so many other features to their music. They're beyond categorization, in my opinion.

Angeleyes Part II said:
Oh,I agree and I can't wait to see them play live the 12th of may for the first time...suport act is Novembre...It is said Katatonia will play for 5 hours,isn't that a bit long? Maybe it's just a rumour we'll see...:)

ARGH i'm horrifically jealous novembre is one of my top 3 bands or so and katatonia is definitely up there too :(:(:( man i wish i lived in europe

I agree, Lar. Katatonia are an entity. Period. And yeah, I too bought The Black Sessions box from Mark so I could have the live DVD. It's the closest we'll get unless we go to Europe, since most Americans are narrow minded.

wankerness said:
ARGH i'm horrifically jealous novembre is one of my top 3 bands or so and katatonia is definitely up there too :(:(:( man i wish i lived in europe

Well...just to wet your pants a little more (just in a matter of speaking..hmmkay),Don't know if you like them as well,but I will be seeing Anathema too the 5th of May..:)

@affinityband: Please do tell me how the gig was ok!!! :)

Provided it actually happens this year....last year's event was cancelled, so we'll see.

When Anathema played in 2001, they were the headliners on the main stage, and they also did a special acoustic mini-set in the press room earlier in the day. That was probably one of my favorite moments at any metalfest. Vince and Danny played Beatles covers (with occasional backups provided by Lance from Macabre) and some of their newer material, and they capped it off with a cover of "Paranoid Android" by Radiohead which was amazing.

Anathema is one of my favourite bands since ever. I saw them in Portugal once, but I was kind of dissapointed... I think they turned out a little bit overrated. I'm addict to Serenades, Silent Enigma and Eternity, but in the concert they only performed stuff from the new albums - not bad albums at all - but comparing to old Anathema, you definitely can see the difference.
I was expecting to hear songs like A Dying Wish, Eternity part I, We, the Gods...but nothing!

When I saw Anathema, they only played stuff from the more recent albums. Except, I was quite pleased as I am not a fan of the older stuff (which some people seem to find hard to believe, but it's true.) My dislike for Silent Enigma is probably legendary around here haha

Anathema seem to have broken with their more doomy past and only play songs from their 3 most recent albums. Understandable, cause it's quite different from their older stuff. I think they reached a point in their carreer that they became fed up with the scene and they wanted to try a different approach and appeal to a wider audience.

Still, when you focus on the songs themselves (not the singing) and the chord-progressions etc..you can see the similarities with their older stuff and notice that it's still the same band that's writing the songs.

Their former bassist Duncan Patterson (now in antimatter) had also a lot to do with the older songs; maybe that's what has changed.

I think "Alternative 4" is the album that connects the old en new Anathema and the singing on that album is cool in opposite of the singing on "Eternity." They just progressed from a basic doometalband with some great tragic (legendary) moments, into a suffisticated pop/rock/metal/alternative act. I like them both.

affinityband said:
The Silent enigma i thought was dreadful. The playing is very very loose.

I like some songs on that, but the vocals are pretty nasty. Serenades, Crestfallen, and Pentecost III are all very unappealing to me. I sort of like a few songs (and "We the Gods" is amazingly good), but overall huge boring blah. They vastly improved with Eternity and have been great ever since.

I'm with Larry on this one,as i like also their newer stuff,I love "Natural Disaster" and "Judgement".. yeh,yeh..I know i'm an emotional dork.. :( I got also an live acoustic album "Where you There"... only on this album,i don't like Danny's singing "One last Goodbye" It's a beautiful very emotional song,I know,but somehow it doesn't come out quit good on this album,still can't wait to see and hear them play live ...I like Antimatter too,i have all their albums..they went thru some musical changes as well,they still sound dark imo,I like them, "Angelic" and "Flowers"are wonderful songs imo...maybe not their best,but I like'm :)
Oh and Larry and Paul i've noticed on the official site,you guys did a tour with The Gathering..another great band,was it a good Tour you've had with them?...i think Anneke sings like an Angel,she knows how to bring the femininity out of a women.. I'll be seeing them the 25th of May..) coming to think of it,i'm pretty busy next month..:D

Angeleyes Part II said:
I'm with Larry on this one,as i like also their newer stuff,I love "Natural Disaster" and "Judgement".. yeh,yeh..I know i'm an emotional dork.. :( I got also an live acoustic album "Where you There"... only on this album,i don't like Danny's singing "One last Goodbye" It's a beautiful very emotional song,I know,but somehow it doesn't come out quit good on this album,still can't wait to see and hear them play live ...I like Antimatter too,i have all their albums..they went thru some musical changes as well,they still sound dark imo,I like them, "Angelic" and "Flowers"are wonderful songs imo...maybe not their best,but I like'm :)
Oh and Larry and Paul i've noticed on the official site,you guys did a tour with The Gathering..another great band,was it a good Tour you've had with them?...i think Anneke sings like an Angel,she knows how to bring the femininity out of a women.. I'll be seeing them the 25th of May..) coming to think of it,i'm pretty busy next month..:D

Where the hell do you live? London? >:E I'm going to have to move there.

Yes we toured with The Gathering in early 2004. It was a short tour but it was a good experience. They're very cool people and we still correspond with Hans now and then. I think the odds are good that we'll be playing with them again someday, perhaps over in Europe, who knows? Our musical styles are so much different from one another now, so I don't know how it'd go over at this point, but we do enjoy playing with them so we'll see what happens.

As for the Anathema thing, I think my affection for Radiohead, Pink Floyd and seventies prog is what makes me lean more towards the more recent Anathema material rather than the earlier stuff. Even so I don't really listen to them all that much. My fiance' listens to them alot so I hear it by proxy most often. She's a much bigger fan of doom and doom/death than I am. I listen to Deep Purple and The Beatles all day haha.