Funeral Doom?

Barth Vader

Rise to submission
Jun 1, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
www.sackersmovie.com
I know you're all probably sick of the suggestion threads, but I have become particularly interested in funeral doom. Would this be bands like Evoken and Esoteric? Or are there other, better bands?? Could anyone suggest any good funeral doom?

I went through a doom phase a few years ago and got into bands like Solitude Aeturnus and My Dying Bride.

Sorry to bother with another suggestion thread.

Haven't heard Esoteric but Evoken is pretty good, far from the best though.

In my opinion Shape of Despair- Angels of Distress is the definitive funeral doom album, absolutly brilliant. You must try it. Extreemly heavy riffs that just layered with tasteful synths and female vox to create a wall of despair.

Ok heres so bands to try:
Shape of Despair
Skepticism
Nortt
Monolithe
Tyranny
Aarni (very strange and not your typical FD vibe, but excellent nontheless

Shap of Despair is too happy. Skepticism is the funeral doom band. Esoteric, Tyranny, Thergothon, Until Death Overtakes Me, and Monolithe are worth a look.

MightyDrynwhyl said:
I wouldn't call S.O.D. happy, but I do think they are slighty too atmospheric and dreamy to be full on funeral doom, and do not convey the actual feelings of the genre overall.
In which case they are above the entire genre :heh: Either way you should check them out.

Nortt
Tyranny
Skepticism
Until Death Overtakes Me
Funerary Dirge
Unholy
Thergothon
Ataraxie
Through The Valley
Mar De Grises
Catacombs
Worship
Dolorian
Monolithe
Bunkur
Despond
Long Winter's Stare - The TEars of Odin's Fallen
Moss
My Shameful
Ras Algethi
Pantheist
Solicide
Thorr's Hammer
The Funeral Orchestra
Unearthly Trance
Wormphlegm

etc..

No one has mentioned Mournful Congregation for some reason. I'd add Beyond Black Void as well.
Personal favourites are Funeral (the first releases), Skepticism, Thergothon and Mournful Congregation.