Some PP XII album recommendations?

Fizrider

Quasi-Old Fart
Oct 25, 2010
As I always admit, I am a casual metal fan. I am slowly adding albums for this year's lineup to be more educated than I have been in years past.

I have started with the most recent albums by some of the bands, and now seek recommendations for others. Here are the bands I'd like recommendations for:

Voyager (Element V or Universe?)
Dream Evil (I am really digging their latest)
Mob Rules
Eldritch
Labyrinth

Labyrinth - Return to Heaven Denied
Dream Evil - all of them!!! Might want to start with Dragonslayer or The Book of Heavy Metal
Voyager - Element V

As I always admit, I am a casual metal fan. I am slowly adding albums for this year's lineup to be more educated than I have been in years past.

I have started with the most recent albums by some of the bands, and now seek recommendations for others. Here are the bands I'd like recommendations for:

Voyager (Element V or Universe?)
Dream Evil (I am really digging their latest)
Mob Rules
Eldritch
Labyrinth

With Voyager, definitely go with Univers. Element V is a fine album, but Univers is a religious experience.

With Mob Rules, start with Among the Gods, as it's both accessible and a good representation of their sound.

With Labyrinth, you can't beat the original Return to Heaven Denied album.

slightly off topic but gorillaboy76 and I were talking about this the other day. It seems like this year's roster has more collective albums than anything in recent memory. Truly a monumental task to figure out where to start on listening to back catalog.

To actively add to the topic, I like Labyrinth's new one. The cover and the title was enough to get me interested. When I spun it though I was hit with keyboards and awesome.

I also recommend Labyrinth's 2003 S/T release as well. It is very strong. I can't say how many tunes they would play from it, but I think we can expect "The Prophet" which is the first track from that release.

Bryant

Dream Evil - you really can't go wrong with any of theirs.
Really no reason you wouldn't like any of theirs if you like their latest (Which is great)

Really no reason you wouldn't like any of theirs if you like their latest (Which is great)

"The Ballad" has had me cracking up for the last hour. I'm surprised it wasn't written in D minor (the saddest of all keys).

If they do not play that one (with Snowy walking on stage) the Baby Jesus will cry.

I also recommend Labyrinth's 2003 S/T release as well. It is very strong. I can't say how many tunes they would play from it, but I think we can expect "The Prophet" which is the first track from that release.

I wouldn't count on it; Luca didn't play on that album. The only non-Luca-era track they've played recently is "Freeman," and that was during a headlining gig. Expect their set to mostly include songs from the Return to Heaven Denied albums and No Limits.

I wouldn't count on it; Luca didn't play on that album. The only non-Luca-era track they've played recently is "Freeman," and that was during a headlining gig. Expect their set to mostly include songs from the Return to Heaven Denied albums and No Limits.

Hmmm..... that is not good. I like those albums mind you, but the S/T release is really good too. I would be disappointed without a song from it. It is tough when a band has seven releases and three EPs to try and fit everything in a show, but "The Prophet" was what got me into the band.

Bryant

I would recommend checking out the Labyrinth stuff in this order:

RTHD II (seems to be a great entry point, and an incredible album to boot)
RTHD
Labyrinth (close/tie between where this is and RTHD is)
No Limits
Freeman
6 Days to Nowhere
Sons of Thunder

Don't listen to anyone who forbids you from anything besides RTHD, for they know naught the goodness of the mighty prog-power contained otherwise. :cool: Heck, a couple of them have less filler than the original RTHD..

"The Ballad" has had me cracking up for the last hour. I'm surprised it wasn't written in D minor (the saddest of all keys).

If they do not play that one (with Snowy walking on stage) the Baby Jesus will cry.

This. I found myself listening to the newest Dream Evil and thinking "This is what Spinal Tap would sound like if Spinal Tap were a real band with musical ability".

This is good to hear.. I have 2 more bands to get latest from (Therion and WHW) and then I'll start going deeper into the catalogs of the guys I like.

Other than Haken... Aquarius is what there is.

Dream Evil is giving me a HUGE Scorpions vibe... I'm feeling some serious early 80's coming on. They change it up really well - one second my head starts going up and down... and then they crack me up. Glad to hear their whole collection is well received by you guys.