some stoner rock

Ashgarth

Jordi Vaquero
Aug 24, 2008
Barcelona (Spain)
www.bovedadelsol.com
We started to record the first demo for my stoner rock band Mindust.

Here's one of the songs for you to check it out!!

Drums were a cheap pearl forum, and zildjian zbt/paiste 502 cymbals, everything triggered, and oktava mk-012 for overheads.

Guitars are Eastwood ultra gp, bass big muff pi to peavey windsor, musicson 6x12 bass cabinet and t.bone mb75 (sm57 copy)

Bass LTD TA-200 di with BOD and Lextac.

Vocals are T.bone SCT-700.

First time I record miced guitars and real drums :lol:

Let me know what you think!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bass sounds really cool on its own, but to me it doesn't sit very well with the guitars sometimes, it's poking out in a very weird way around a certain high mid frequency. You don't happen to be using the bright switch on LeXtac? That one had a tendency to add what I'm talking about when I tried using LeXtac on bass. You could perhaps add some more dirt to the bass? Don't think it would hurt in this genre. Snare sounds kinda muddy and very distant, sounds like the reverb is responsible for both. Ease up on the snare verb a bit or add some attack to the snare and remove some boxyness.
As for the material, pretty cool, chillout and easy going, a bit too easy going for my taste though I'm afraid. Then again I'm not much into stoner rock.;)

thanks for the comments!!

Yes, the snare is pretty muddy, will try less verb and adding some snap with a plugin that Ahjteam recommended.

About the bass, I didn't use the bright switch on Lextac.
But when I get to mix the whole demo I'll definetely try to control that!

This song is sick dude. I actually dig the bass tone, just seems to be sticking out of the texture on the highs...over all well done!