Some tips please

Polpotkin

Hit'er in the shitter
Dec 12, 2005
Sweden
www.myspace.com
Hi!
This week i´ll be recording a "U.S Deatmetal" band. This is not really my thing so i could use som advice from you guys.

I´m limited to only a few mics, but I´ve just bought myself 5 pcs of Rolands Trigg-mics and thats what i´m going to use together with shure Beta52 for the kick, sm57 for additional snare and some ADK´s for overhead.

On the bassguitar i´m going for some KoRn sound, but i´m not really sure how to achieve that sound. But i can imagine that his sound mainly is in his playingstyle. That will be hadr to copy, but maybe anyone could point me in the right direction...

Guitars: we will probably use my ESP eclipse with EMG´s, och a Gibson Studio, with pretty cheap Laney-amps. Most people say that you should keep the gain low, but this doesn´t sound fun at all while you record... What do you say? When i listen to Opeth for example, i have noticed that there isn´t really much distortion, but it sounds fat anyway... multiple dubs?

Vocals then. This is the growls from hell, and i hear that the best way is to go with dynamic mics.

hehe, i´m asking for a complete walkthrough here =)
Anyone who can give me some tips?
Cheers

Im no expert but heres a few tips anyway:

If you are Doubling up guitar tracks its best not to use full on distortion otherwise the final mix for the guitars will sound muddy, death-metal guitars need a lot of clarity as the riffs tend to be more technical, if you are only doing 2 Guitar Tracks (1 Left, 1 Right) then you can get away with using more Gain, but if theres goin to be a total of 4 tracks then go easy on it otherwise things can get messy.

Bass Guitar needs to cut through in Death Metal so compress the Low-Mids (around 250Hz this goes for guitars too) using a multi-band compresser, this should help tighten the sound up a bit, on the Bass track try boosting around 600Hz to give the bass a bit more of an aggresive sound, and maybe add a bit of Gain. You could also add a little bit of high-end to the Bass track too to give it a bit of a metallic sort of sound, Fieldy (Korn) slaps his bass so i doubt you will get his kinda sound unless the Bassist is using really slack strings or plays Death Metal Slap Bass.

I hope the above has cleared a few things up, like i said im no expert at this, but these are a few things i would do.

Hehe, i´m no expert at all myself... Just a n00b trying to improve my skills...

yes I think it will be 4 guitartracks, and I think i´ll try recording the dubs with POD or another amp... And keep the gain down.

Exactly as i thougt about the bass, half the sound is in Fieldy himself. But maybe Korn isn´t really the sound i´m after. More like Megadeth, countdown to extinction...

Anyone who has some advice on the vocals? Either sm57 or ADK Vienna. I have tried sm57 before on growling vocals but i didn´t like it, to be honest. What about distorsion or any other effects on the vocals? Maybe pitch-shift?