Someone offered me a rough dual rectifier

Nov 6, 2005
A friend decided to sell his dual rectifier and offered it to me for $500. It works fine from what I have seen, but he decided to take off (smash out) the faceplate apparently to make a custom one which he never did; and at one point a beer had been spilled on/in it when it was turned off in which he and someone else opened up the amp and dried it out, in which it works seemingly normally after. It liked it when I played with it and even used it for a reamp when I did a demo track for him. My concerns are

Trying to find a replacement faceplate. Mesa's website didn't have anything that I could see, and ebay and google didn't pull up anything.

When the amp is turned on, the power supply can be felt vibrating through the head cab. I have felt this in other amps, but never to the extent of this. Does this indicate moisture damage or any failing in future?

Ask to borrow it again and take it to a tech to look over. If he finds nothing wrong with it, buy it. If you contact Mesa directly, I'm sure they could sort you out with a faceplate.

I spoke with him, and he apparently needed the money by today, so I looked over the amp and plugged it in, twisted some knobs, and got it for $300. It doesn't seem like there is an issue with it minus the vibration in the head cab, and I will take it to get looked at by a tech in a few weeks. So far, I feel like I got a pretty good deal.

Damn... $300 yeah that is a steal. The vibration is most likely the transformers and it is usually harmless. Might just need some tightening to the chassis or the rubber grommets need to be installed/replaced.

The front you can easily make something or Mesa will likely send you what you need. And who cares really? It is just cosmetic.

Yeah $300 is a steal indeed, even if the thing is beat to death. You could probably re tolex it if you wanted and I'm sure mesa can get you a new face (although they like to charge more than it's worth IMO).

I would look into just getting the logo plate and doing a new tolex front face instead of the diamond plate as I'm pretty sure mesa is gonna bend you over on that.