Someone stop me from buying the Zoom recorder

Charlie E.

Jan 2, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/zoom-h4n-portable-digital-recorder

I've been wanting to get this thing for a year now. This is a nice price drop. If they had let me use the 15-20% off coupons it would've been a no brainer but they won't since it's already on sale.
Someone tell me to hold out for the Allen & Heath recorder and just bare with bringing a preamp and mics so I don't waste $212 on portability and convenience.
I have no self control!

:yow:

you should be able to save a few bucks on ebay, but they are generally hovering around that price. i've been looking for one to do live audio for videos and this seems like the best choice so far.

Pretty sure out bassist has this thing. I've witnessed in in action once (just to capture vocalist tryouts). Seemed ok, but I wasn't blown away. Then again, I'm sure there's a lot more to it than just hitting record and setting it in the room.

Really depends on what you want to do with it. You can't change the the Gain during the recording. That can be a huge downside sometimes. The XLR ins don't have that much power. Sometimes I wished I'd be able to turn them up a little more (with quite sources). So far I'm only using one XLR in at a time to record audio for films (interviews).

Yes I'd mostly use it for those reasons: live bands settings, and interviews etc maybe even some guitar youtube videos.
However what I really want is the Allen & Heath Ice 16. Now obviously that costs way more but I can't figure out if I should keep saving for it or get the Zoom and get my feet a little wet first and get the Ice 16 later.
The sad thing is that I technically don't need either. I have an Apogee Duet, and an Apogee Ensemble. But I just dread taking a laptop to less than stellar venues and I just love the portability and simplicity of these items.

I have one. Use it all the time. I have used a lot of field recorders over time, this one is still probably the best. Definitely one of the few that can actually handle the SPL's of live shows and band rehearsals without distorting. Add the fact you XLR inputs for other mics or 1/4" for like board feeds and such, total WIN!

It has a TON more features too that I find inconvenient. The 4-track is pretty hard to use and navigating the onbaord amps and such are sort of a pain. As an interface it is pretty crappy too. But none of that shit matters to me, it is a wicked field recorder. I don't rehearse without it.