Something besides MS Paint?

Jan 10, 2005
Are there any free programs for XP that are like Paint but don't SUCK at image quality when you save as JPEG/PNG? I've noticed it a lot, I have to do screenshots at work sometimes and the images look fucking TERRIBLE after you save them in an image format. Oh my Macs I use Preview, and while you can't draw shit in there at least when I take a screenshot and then save it, it looks just like it did on the screen in the first place...

Kewl I'm going to try out GIMP, thanks for the rec. I just can't believe something as simple as saving a screen shot in the original image quality can be so hard to accomplish...

Tru dat!

So trying out GIMP, it worked well, seemed fine. Then, I import the image and it's larger than the original! WTF. Because of this, the quality is degraded anyway, pixelated, etc. What I'm trying to do is take a screenshot of something in Excel, crop a certain section, then paste it in a slide in Powerpoint. So far MS Paint does the right size, but image quality is BULLDILDOES and now GIMP isn't doing it right either.

This is incredibly simple I don't understand what the problem is. Once again, if had one of my Macs... this is so frustrating.

Installing the one from paint.net but it's taking forrrrrreeeeevvvvveeeeerrrrrr.

So Powerpoint will not import any bmp I create apparently. Whether it's from MS Paint, GIMP or your mom, it says there was an error every time. Imports jpeg, gif, tiff, png, et al fine though. Except the whole HUGE thing and also the image quality...

It's weird, inside GIMP it looks totally fine. The right size, at 100%, good quality - but then I import into my Powerpoint shiz and it's huge and subsequently pixelated. In MS Paint, it's the right size but fucked quality :zombie:

Finally installing Paint.net... let's see if that works out.

Ok awesome, Paint.net does it perfectly! Correct size and image quality, thanks Soultrash! :kickass:

On the flipside... it is highly homosexual that OSX's 'Grab' application can only save to a TIFF file.

I dunno what Grab is :erk:

But I can bet, without knowing what it is or does, based purely on your post, that the image quality (and size) is at least the same as the original! :lol:

Make sure your project is set up at 72 pixels per inch or when you open it its going to be huge.