Something Borknagar said

the average metal head still doesn't "get" Borknagar as far as I'm concerned. They are a totally unique musical force and a definate acquired taste. But they have come a long way...the albums before Quintessence suck ass.

My god, you're asking for the entire forum to come to your house and wack your face with a frypan, aren't you? You really want it bad.

Rivfadír;6064577 said:
And so, you prove your own point.

:lol: My god.. ErikSL's post was like a classic Irish joke of some kind. or a Darwin award!

as far as I'm concerned ErikSL is free to say about Borknagar whatever he wants. if only he can give a couple of proper arguments supporting that opinion.. :/ which he hasn't..

oh btw, borknagar_ you forgot to mention Dauden and Fandens Allheim from the first album :headbang:

I also think TOD is quite an underrated album. And The Archaic Course's so much of a freakin' classic I'm surprised a Borknagar fan actually disagrees with it.

"Oceans Rise" is to the date one of my all-time favorite songs.

Interesting quote- would be cool to know which problems exactly he's talking about. Oversaturation of one particular style? The unwillingness of record labels to take risks or allow bands to develop over time? Fans seeing music as a disposable commodity, rather than pieces of art and culture to be enjoyed?

I mean, there's a LOT wrong with pop music these days. Even for pop.

I think he's talking about cookie-cutter "sameness". It's sort of like when Thrash was big in the late 80's early 90's--you had a few bands that were truly original-sounding, and the record companies signed every little soundalike band that was out there. It seems as though a lot of bands are being started now with some sort of preexisting agenda; and have already picked the genre pigeonhole in which they wish to be classified. That's one thing that's cool about Borknagar--they really don't sound like anything else (and never really have).

As for them being an acquired taste, to some people they may be. I liked them the first time I heard them, but I had years of listening to old Progressive Rock as well as years of listening to heavier metal so it worked for me. For Joe Average Metal-guy, some of the Progressive stuff may seem weird. For Joe Average Prog-guy, some of the Metal stuff may seem too extreme. But, it all seems to work well together.

That makes sense. I wonder, has there ever been a time when that wasn't the case really? I don't say that to be a smartass, I'm a relatively young dude and would like some input from older music fans.

Interesting quote- would be cool to know which problems exactly he's talking about. Oversaturation of one particular style? The unwillingness of record labels to take risks or allow bands to develop over time? Fans seeing music as a disposable commodity, rather than pieces of art and culture to be enjoyed?

I mean, there's a LOT wrong with pop music these days. Even for pop.

I believ he's talking about bands like Lacuna Coil or Within Temptation :lol: (Ohhh the pain :erk: :cry: ). The new Sirenia album sucks too :erk: , our only hope left is Tristania and *mein gott* new Nightwish :) .