Borknagar - Origin

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
Borknagar - Origin
Century Media Records - CD 77599-2 - October 30th, 2006
By Brandon Ströder

Borknagar-Origin.jpg

Behold the Origin of Borknagar, presented at the end in true Quentin Tarantino fashion.

The keyboards of Borknagar have always been pretty spectacular, despite the cheesiness of such large keyboard orchestrations. Origin takes it up a notch with an actual violinist, a flutist, and even a guy playing the cello. This is probably something they should have considered earlier in their careeer, perhaps for the epic Epic, or the grimmer movements of Empiricism. The effects these natural instruments have on Origin are bigger than anyone could have preconceived. Adding to the grandiose is the production, which is crystal clear, and each instrument can easily be heard. Of course Origin is best at high volumes, but the same can be said about any Borknagar album, or even Cronian.

Similar to Cronian and past Borknagar albums, we've still got the same lyrical themes; or at least it seems so on the surface. I hold to this theory that every first track of every Vintersorg-related album has the word "existence" in the lyrics. He says it on the second song, "Grains", as well. Who's keeping count though? The song is sweet. Existence seems to be a word he likes to sing a lot, or a concept he writes about very often. Vintersorg's patented vocal style and melodies are back and better than ever, and he also performs some lower-octave vocals that are extremely well done! Although it is amazing to hear Borknagar acoustically, it seems like they still build off of a lot of the same ideas as they did for their heavy music. Some of the key progressions are extremely similar, and sometimes it even seems like they could have sped up the tempo a tiny bit and put in heavy guitars! It's not quite the Finntroll 'Visor Om Slutet' level of acoustic transformation, yet it is a cool transformation nonetheless. And the guest flutist and violinist they've got are very good, really adding to that 'medieval' kind of sound.

It's interesting to hear what the heavy versions of these songs would sound like. 'White' is the song that sounds like it could translate into the most interesting heavy song, as it already sounds pretty darn heavy with the extreme cello performance, and the staccato and violin performances that follow it. "Oceans Rise" was a heavy song from The Archaic Course metamorphosed into an acoustic song for this release. If you didn't know that little chunk of knowledge, you probably never would have guessed. The curse of The Archaic Course is that it is a bit too archaic for people to really go back and check out, except for the hardcore Borknagar fans (you know, those of us who have to hear everything ever written by the bands we like). It's also the longest song clocking in at a hefty 6:05 for this little 35 minute epic. Borknagar's infallible acoustic skill is astounding, considering this is their first acoustic album. I guess playing all that folk metal must have really prepared them to take on such a daunting task!

9/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Official Borknagar Website
Official Century Media Records Website

Ah, forgive me. The text is so small though and my eyesight has never been good. It's an honest mistake, will fix. :)

Only an OKAY review, in my opinion. Mostly examines the relationship between Borknagar's heavy and acoustic stuff and their change of sound in the acoustic album, without really getting into details about much else...
I guess I just love the album so much that I feel this review does not do it justice, it doesn't explain enough... It also makes no mention of the band members and their instruments other than Vintersorg... A tracklisting would also be nice, to complement what you said about song lengths.

An interesting thing to note is that the nature of this album may come as a bit of a surprise to Borknagar veterans. There are many musical devices that you will instantly recognize as Oystein G. Brun's, that have been used in past Bork songs a lot, but don't expect this album to be an elongated version of the acoustic parts in say, Empiricism or Epic. It's overall a pretty new feel, because there are no heavy parts to contrast with it - the dynamics of the style are forced to change.

I found that "Earth Imagery," the album's opener, was the most similar track to their previous (heavy) work, and that it sounded like one of their heavy songs (one which has acoustic parts in it, like many of their heavy songs) converted pretty much exactly to an acoustic version, even more than the rendition of Oceans Rise on this album. The other tracks, however, convey the new feel I mentioned above and force you to ask, "Would this song be better acoustic or heavy? I'm really not sure..." which is a good thing. It proves that the acoustic element has its own power and magic.

Nick_Perrin said:
A tracklisting would also be nice, to complement what you said about song lengths.

I don't think thats included in our format at that moment.

Taake's "Dødskvad" is an genius masterpiece of an album! And you should check there sound for real. Also would like to mention Enslaved for that matter, no matter what album you get from Enslaved their atmospheric sound blows your pathetic mind out! Great review by the way, some more of depth in details about the sound and band would be nice, these guys is masterminds who should be in some kind of fame hall for their capturing the right moods and atmospheres! Amazing musicians and highly musical IQ born.

-May darkness enslave your souls and bury your body's.

This is album is a journey in another world. Borknagar's sense of melody is unusual - it doesn't follow convention. This is particularly evident in the sole track written by Lars Nedland. 'White' is the best song on the album and merely confirms in my mind that this guy is one of the most naturally gifted musicians in metal. Everything he touches, from Borknagar to Solefald to Asmegin is quality. Highly original quality. His vocals are amazing too, and it's a pity they weren't used more on this album. Nevertheless, I think Origin shows Vintersorg in career-best vocal form. This album flows beautifully, it captures a mood and is probably the most consistent record Borknagar have produced to date.

This is album is a journey in another world. Borknagar's sense of melody is unusual - it doesn't follow convention. This is particularly evident in the sole track written by Lars Nedland. 'White' is the best song on the album and merely confirms in my mind that this guy is one of the most naturally gifted musicians in metal. Everything he touches, from Borknagar to Solefald to Asmegin is quality. Highly original quality. His vocals are amazing too, and it's a pity they weren't used more on this album. Nevertheless, I think Origin shows Vintersorg in career-best vocal form. This album flows beautifully, it captures a mood and is probably the most consistent record Borknagar have produced to date.

I agree. Lazare has become one of my all time favorite musicians and vocalists. He is a very talented person, full of creativity.

This album came out just as I started getting into Empyrium like mentioned above, so it fit perfectly for me. I wish the songs were longer, or at least the album was longer. I can't wait for the new Borknagar now though.