Borknagar - Empiricism

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Borknagar - Empiricism
Century Media Records - 2001
Reviewed by Philip Whitehouse
Go to the Century Media website.
Go to the Borknagar website.

There seems to have been a lot of change in the black metal genre of late. Cradle Of Filth and Dimmu Borgir have been gradually creeping up on the mainstream, ready to suck the blood of the 'commercial acceptability' virgin, Immortal have released a new album which moves away for the 'blast-beats for blast-beats' sake' ethic of other 'true black metal' bands, and Emperor's last album simultaneously reminded us all of what was great about black metal and redefined it's importance in the 21st century. Innovate and stay fresh, these changes say. Evolve or die.

I'm sure Borknagar would understand such noble sentiments. Formerly a black metal band in the truest sense of the word, Borknagar's latest album sees the band moving gradually away from the black metal tag. Clean vocals feature, blast-beats are rare, keyboards are less pronounced, and the vibe is one of a band satisfied with their fresh perspective.

First song 'The Genuine Pulse' is probably the most 'black' song on the album - furious riffing, a driving drum-beat that carries the song forward at speed, and harsh screamy vocals coupled with occasional, nearly-operatic singing that vaguely recalls European power metal, but without that genre's almost obligatory cheesiness.

The album continues with 'Gods Of My World', which impressively manages to conjure memories of Opeth's deathly prog, with it's powerfully rock starting point gradually sugueing into an acoustic, melodic passage before fading gently to silence. Then it's straight back into the blast-beats with 'The Black Canvas'.

Overall, this is a very satisfying album for those who are willing to allow Borknagar to progress as musicians and songwriters. This album shows a scope of abilities that was only hinted at on previous albums, and something tells me that the best is still yet to come.

8/10

I bought this album a while ago, and have only put it on a few times. It dosent really appeal to me as Borknagar's greatest realease, but it has its good ones. I think that the album previous, Quintessence was Blacker.

I think that this CD is very satisfying but they need to incorparate a new piano sound instead of the old cheesy keyboard sound and change it to a more prenounced and gimmmer sound as Dimmu Borgir has done on teir new CD

I always thought Vintersorg was a great vocalist, but I guess I've heard too much of Simen with Borknagar to not miss him. Empiricism was a cool disc, but I still lean heavily towards Quintessence and the Archaic Course. Now that I think about it, you don't really hear much from Garm anymore. I totally dug his vocals. Anyone know what he's up to?

I think Vintersorg's vocals on Empiricism are probably the highlight of the album - surprised there was no mention of Vintersorg in the review!! The two highlights of the album for me are "Genuine Pulse" and the magnificent "Stellar Dome". The other songs are good, but those two are just a breed apart...