circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Borknagar – Epic
Century Media Records – August 10th, 2004
By Jason Jordan

borknagar.jpg

What I feared most has come to pass: Borknagar sound like a Vintersorg clone. I guess there’s a certain amount of inevitability involved; it only makes sense that a group that includes two members of Vintersorg does indeed sound similar to the aforementioned. But, this time around, the guys aren’t nearly as original…especially when compared to their big influence. On the plus side, Vintersorg turns in the vocal performance of his career. His melodies and clean singing are both spot-on, while his growling continues to be a staple of the quartet’s sound. I’ve never heard better from him. Along the same lines, Mickelson’s drum-filling abilities have improved considerably since Empiricism. Asgeir utilizes different cymbals to create changing auras and toms are used more sparingly this time. But when they are used, they’re powerful. And, these idiosyncrasies really help boost the songs' overall environment.

Though the first few songs do have their moments, the real “meat” of the release is the mid-section. “The Weight of Wind” (track five) is ominous as it dispels its solemn piano interludes with electronic sounds/minimal drumming underneath. A fine instrumental piece. “Resonance” is grandiose at first, until Vintersorg enters and sets the atmosphere. The brass-esque keyboard sections compliment the work nicely. Check the one minute mark for some excellent drumming and insurmountable yet brief vocal melodies. “Relate” begins solemnly then calms into a pseudo-existential ballad that only Borknagar are capable of producing. Heavy passages are pasted between the soft parts however.

It’s not as if there’s anything bad here. Sure, there are some tracks I could live without, but my whole qualm with Epic is that it fails to set the group apart from Vintersorg; this release could've easily followed Visions from the Spiral Generator or The Focusing Blur. I can honestly say that I’d be reaching for Borknagar’s Self-Titled or Empiricism before Epic. Until some efforts to differentiate between projects takes place, I’ll be looking to Vintersorg’s other endeavors to satisfy my avant-garde, organic metal tastes. It’s too bad really because they are on the verge of their swansong. Maybe next time.

7.5/10

Official Borknagar website
Official Century Media Records website

I really don't prefer listening to Vintersorg sing against the music from Borknagar. When I want to listen to Vintersorg, I'll listen to Vintersorg. Borknagar kind of had a signature sound going with Simen. The song I heard off this was just bland. Nothing exciting or memorable at all.

There's vocal similiarity between Epic and the Vintersong releases (though I haven't listened to the latter extensively) but little comparison instrumentally. The rhythm section work is much more complex and powerful that any songs I've heard by VS. IMHO, one if this year's best albums.