Something is happening...

Brell

Oct 10, 2016
Illinois
For those of you that read my story about discovering Amorphis, you know that I went almost 20 years without finding another person that likes Amorphis. When UTRC came out, I thought this would be the album that would make other metalheads stand up and take notice, and the band would start getting the respect they deserve (Honestly though, I've said that about most of their albums lol). Throughout the last year, I've seen little hints of this. My wife and a couple of other friends got into them, I ran into a dude at a restaurant who complimented me on my Amorphis hoodie. When they announced the US tour, I was surprised by how many of my FB friends came out of the woodwork and were excited about the tour (though they mostly seem like Old School fans from the Tales album).

Now, I am convinced that there is something going on. This weekend alone, I ran into 3 huge Amorphis fans! On Thursday, I was at the Soilwork/Unearth show, and ran into an old buddy. His friend that was with him sees my hoodie, and the first thing she says to me is "Oh my God!!! What's your favorite Amorphis song?!?!". Mine is "Winter's Sleep", hers was "Sampo".

The next day, I'm posting stuff on FB about the show, and this dude I met recently through my friends in Jungle Rot, starts talking with me about Soilwork. I mentioned something about Amorphis, as I am inclined to do, and it turned out that he was a big fan, and we both geeked out and talked about Amorphis tattoos we wanted to get. He said that UTRC is probably one of his top 20 albums of all time, and he wants to get a tattoo of the album cover.

AND THEN....Sunday night I'm at a benefit show for a friend of mine, and I see a dude wearing a "Tales" t-shirt, so we got to talking, and he's going to both of the shows that I'm going to!

Has anything like this been happening to anyone else lately? As a long time fan, this is very exciting to see! I think I need to get a hold of my brother and tell him to get on board with this lol!

Reactions: Summer Ewe
For those of you that read my story about discovering Amorphis, you know that I went almost 20 years without finding another person that likes Amorphis. When UTRC came out, I thought this would be the album that would make other metalheads stand up and take notice, and the band would start getting the respect they deserve (Honestly though, I've said that about most of their albums lol). Throughout the last year, I've seen little hints of this. My wife and a couple of other friends got into them, I ran into a dude at a restaurant who complimented me on my Amorphis hoodie. When they announced the US tour, I was surprised by how many of my FB friends came out of the woodwork and were excited about the tour (though they mostly seem like Old School fans from the Tales album).

Now, I am convinced that there is something going on. This weekend alone, I ran into 3 huge Amorphis fans! On Thursday, I was at the Soilwork/Unearth show, and ran into an old buddy. His friend that was with him sees my hoodie, and the first thing she says to me is "Oh my God!!! What's your favorite Amorphis song?!?!". Mine is "Winter's Sleep", hers was "Sampo".

The next day, I'm posting stuff on FB about the show, and this dude I met recently through my friends in Jungle Rot, starts talking with me about Soilwork. I mentioned something about Amorphis, as I am inclined to do, and it turned out that he was a big fan, and we both geeked out and talked about Amorphis tattoos we wanted to get. He said that UTRC is probably one of his top 20 albums of all time, and he wants to get a tattoo of the album cover.

AND THEN....Sunday night I'm at a benefit show for a friend of mine, and I see a dude wearing a "Tales" t-shirt, so we got to talking, and he's going to both of the shows that I'm going to!

Has anything like this been happening to anyone else lately? As a long time fan, this is very exciting to see! I think I need to get a hold of my brother and tell him to get on board with this lol!

It's definitely a good sign that their last two albums were so good, and a lot of people I know online are probably more into Amorphis these days.

I really only have a couple of friends that love the band as much (or nearly as much) as me, and they've always been fans (like me).

In Australia where I live people tend to be more into either death metal or the Nightwish/pop metal type of thing. The former create bands themselves and fill the local scene with death and metalcore bands, while the latter don't go out at all unless a big international band like HIM is touring. Bands like Amorphis, Moonspell and Sentenced (RIP) are much less known, despite my best efforts!

If you visit Melbourne @Brell and you see a guy with an Amorphis shirt, it's probably me.

Reactions: Brell
If you visit Melbourne @Brell and you see a guy with an Amorphis shirt, it's probably me.

Right on! If I ever get there I'll keep an eye out for ya!

Sounds a lot like local scene in Chicago. There's a wide range of styles represented, but the whole scene is almost entirely made up of other musicians. And most non-musician fans only come out for the big shows. The only way for a band to get any sort of recognition these days, is for one band member to become a promotor or booking guy, and then they book their own band on all of the really good shows, and everyone kisses their ass lol!

In Australia where I live people tend to be more into either death metal or the Nightwish/pop metal type of thing. The former create bands themselves and fill the local scene with death and metalcore bands, while the latter don't go out at all unless a big international band like HIM is touring. Bands like Amorphis, Moonspell and Sentenced (RIP) are much less known, despite my best efforts!
Many Aussies who know Amorphis probably have just moved out of there ;)

See a lot of dudes at my NY venue wearing amorphis shirts all the time.

I'll see if I can spot anymore at In Flames' show this week

Awesome thread! As for my city, it's pitiful... I've never seen any Amorphis gear around here, but we do have an amazing record store that actually sells their albums (I don't know about other countries, but here in The Netherlands it's quite rare to find a record store that actually sells music).

However, I did see someone with a Beginning Of Times T-shirt once in another city, but I didn't have the balls to say anything. :whistle:

However, I did see someone with a Beginning Of Times T-shirt once in another city, but I didn't have the balls to say anything. :whistle:

If my recent experience is any indication, there is no reason to worry about professing your love of Amorphis to any random fan that you happen to run into. There is an instant bond that happens.

The woman that I met at the Soilwork show pressed her boobs on me the entire time she was talking to me (she was quite well endowed I might add). And my wife was right there too. It was the most awkwardly awesome thing ever haha!!

Reactions: papajohnny
If my recent experience is any indication, there is no reason to worry about professing your love of Amorphis to any random fan that you happen to run into. There is an instant bond that happens.

The woman that I met at the Soilwork show pressed her boobs on me the entire time she was talking to me (she was quite well endowed I might add). And my wife was right there too. It was the most awkwardly awesome thing ever haha!!

Haha, I'm sure that made a huge impact. :D I admire your wife's endurance, if a random woman did that to my husband, she'd be VERY sorry...