Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
Sonata Arctica – For the Sake of Revenge
Nuclear Blast Records – NB1619-2 – April 4, 2006
By Rodrigo Escandon

108168.jpg

Unfortunately, I haven’t had the chance to see Sonata Arctica live but luckily for me and others who find themselves in that same situation these kind Finns have finally released a live album available in the US without having to pay import prices. For the Sake of Revenge was recorded in Tokyo, Japan on February 5, 2005 during the “Reckoning Night World Tour” and it is one of the most impressive live albums that I have ever heard.

For starters, the sound is unmistakably “live” and we find the band slightly changing things around in many of the songs. This is something that I completely appreciate when I go see a concert or hear a live album. I want to hear those slight variations in the songs and not the perfect studio recordings that I am familiar with. Sonata Arctica is able to do just that and it makes for a fresh and exciting listen to songs that I am already familiar with. Speaking of songs, the set list is phenomenal with each of the bands four albums well represented. You will be able to hear such early classics as “My Land” and “The Cage” to latter hits like “Don’t Say A Word” and “Broken”. Of course, having only 4 albums makes it easier for Sonata Arctica to be able to equally distribute the set list but it still is fantastic when a band at this stage of their career doesn’t completely ignore one album as other band’s have recently done.

The band’s performance is also magnificent. You can hear that each band member is playing with a lot of emotion and energy and that they are genuinely happy to be playing live. Henrik (keyboards) and Jani (guitars) show great command of their instruments and hit every note to perfection. Tommy (drums) and Marko (bass) provide a rock solid rhythmic background and Tony (vocals) does a phenomenal job in commanding the stage with his singing and personality. Tony has some of the funniest introductions to songs that I have heard. For example, right before they play “Victoria’s Secret” he asks the audience, “Are you ready for some underwear music?”

The crowd is another aspect that I need to talk about this album. An important aspect of an enjoyable live album is that I need to hear the crowd participation and not just at the end of songs with the obligatory applause and yells but also during the songs itself and as an example, in “Full Moon” the crowd loudly and enthusiastically sings the “Run Away” part without any direction from Tony. Great job by this Tokyo audience!

If all of these points haven’t gotten you excited over this album then the fact that this US release will include a bonus DVD of the show with additional songs not found in the CD version should seal the deal. This bonus DVD is not just a crappy add-on but rather it’s a full-blown production of this concert. The production crew used at least 4 cameras and the editing is perfect in capturing the right moments of the songs and to top it off it’s in Dolby 5.1. There is also a very cool animation opening that features snow, wolves, ravens and an old man walking to a cabin. The DVD menus are well done and as added bonus there is a documentary feature of the band’s stay in Tokyo, from the plane ride to the post-concert partying.

Overall, For the Sake of Revenge will probably rank amongst my favorite live albums of all-time and I urge all of you to make every effort to check it out.

8.5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Sonata Arctica Official Website
Nuclear Blast Records Official Website

Wow, can't wait! I thought this wasn't coming out in the US, so this is a nice surprise!

Tommorow, for us Californians (I think)

So what's this news about the release date being postponed, even though I saw this at my record store today?

At rasputin's, they had atleast 10 copies.