Sonata Arctica

OpethNZ

Nov 25, 2003
Visit site
i notice here lately alot of people bitching on about how bad power metal is, Sonata arctica are considered power metal, and i really enjoy several of their albums, i dont get why people are so incredibly anti, sure theyre not incredibly technical but the most i find most enjoyable, and i think Tony Kakkos vocals are great. I also think people take power metal waaaaay too seriously, and need to get off their fucking high horse when it comes to other forms of metal, meh well thats my 2 cents, you can let me know what your opinions on this band are....

Gonna see the flame-crew pile up in here.

I personally enjoy their music. Alot of it is cheesy, but it comes with the genre - you just can't afford to take it all seriously. Some of those vocal melodies are really good.

Moonlapse said:
Gonna see the flame-crew pile up in here.

I personally enjoy their music. Alot of it is cheesy, but it comes with the genre - you just can't afford to take it all seriously. Some of those vocal melodies are really good.

yeah thats the way i see it, hehe flaming seems to come with the territory when being a more passionate music fan, oh well i think i can handle internet forum opinions, and some i disregard pretty quick anyway

I like power metal. My favorite is Pagan's Mind I think, though they are more prog than power.

Just damn enjoyable music. Reasons to love them: Lyics about wolves, The X-Files and mental people burning down townships...booklets with the band in funny poses...concerts where the singer air guitars with the mic stand while wearing a Jack Daniels top and camo pants...they actually enjoy playing what they play, and dont give a crap about ranting on through 5 albums about how tough their lives are.
Reasons not to like them: The ballad tracks...

I used to enjoy their music but I kinda got tired of it. I saw them live in january and it was boring! Not only because I don't listen to them anymore but it really was.

Sonata Arctica is really catchy and I love the singer's accent. Most power metal is kind of offensive to my senses, but I don't have anything against it as a genre.

First metal genre I got into, and still my favorite.

I don't see why we can't love one another. Aren't we all metal heads? Don't we all listen to metal? Sure some listen to screaming about burning churches, and drugging the priest. While others listen to high pitched vocals about riding horseback toward a castle in siege. But I've learned to enjoy both.

Xorv said:
First metal genre I got into, and still my favorite.

I don't see why we can't love one another. Aren't we all metal heads? Don't we all listen to metal? Sure some listen to screaming about burning churches, and drugging the priest. While others listen to high pitched vocals about riding horseback toward a castle in siege. But I've learned to enjoy both.

they have something in common though... they are both gay in extremis:D

classic power/heavy metal like stormwitch, old stratovarius, old hammerfall, early blind guardian (first couple albums) and such i used to enjoy from time to time.

but most power metal written in the last 5 years is absolutely awful. i dont know how much more these bands can rehash the same song in the same structure in the same horrible way over and over and over and over again. its insane

Sonata is the only band I like in the power metal scene. Stratovarius and Helloween come to mind, but they just sound so boring. Never really got into them.

I think Sonata has put out some quite nice stuff with all of the albums. My favorite is Silence.

NineFeetUnderground said:
classic power/heavy metal like stormwitch, old stratovarius, old hammerfall, early blind guardian (first couple albums) and such i used to enjoy from time to time.

but most power metal written in the last 5 years is absolutely awful. i dont know how much more these bands can rehash the same song in the same structure in the same horrible way over and over and over and over again. its insane

...does that mean you like or dont like it? I like how in that entire response you never gave you actual opinion of the band, just the genre in general.

scorpian007 said:
Are Nevermore considered powermetal?

I wouldn't consider them that. The riffing borders on nu-metal, whilst the vocals border on power-metal, yet they just never cross that threshold. It's a strange style of music - but very cool - good shred solos :).