Song structure.

RETIREDTrapped

New Metal Member
Sep 12, 2001
Anyone here who is a writer, how is it exactly that you go about song structure for your peices?

I've got plenty of riffs, and extensions upon the original riff, but i'm just not sure how to get from the start to the finish of the peice.

As soon as i get a midi I/O box, i'll record some of it with drums, so you can see what i'm doing. Writing riffs isn't the hardest part, it's the actual structure of a song. The way i'm going, i either end up with a peice of music that is so jerky and jolted because of how i peice it together, or i end up with twenty mintues of noodling on the guitar, without much basis to it.

Secondly... well... i'll start a new thread about writing solo's, to get your creative juices flowing :D

Well whenever I write songs I try and set a mood for the song from the outset. Like I won't just write a whole bunch of random riffs and then throw em together hoping for some form of coherency.

For example, if I'm writing an aggressive song I'll do like a hard, fast intro, then write a small break-down, then write short build-up, then launch hard and fast into the main riff, which i'll improvise on the spot when I play the song and tweak it later. I find this the easiest way to write because you don't have to really worry about song structure, it kinda just happens.

Lol, I hope that makes some form of sense to you :D

PiNkMaGGiT \m/:D \m/